Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here using Canon "Camera Connect" or another android remote shutter prog  (Read 1361 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums

I own an EOS R....and now a Google Pixel 6.
I have a Vello remote trigger that i love and use frequently...however, using a phone app would intrigue me if I could also use it to select the focus point. Also when I do landscapes and the camera is low to the ground with the tripod legs splayed flat (to get a puddle reflection or long exposure on a windy day) it would be nice to change camera settings from a phone rather than having to bend down to get ground level in mud or puddle to use the rear camera display...(yeah I'm almost 60)

I have heard less than glowing reviews of Canon free software so I might pay for something better, just as I never liked their DPP software and didn't mind paying for Lightroom. Interestingly enough the more recent reviews seem to be the more unfavorable ones. I wonder if it because it is old and not updated to work well in more up-to-date versions of android.
Does anyone use a android phone app for remote trigger? What are your experiences? Has anyone gone on a similar journey searching for a good android phone app?

kers

• Pieter Kers

I am on Nikon and use a camranger; works with Canon, Fuji and Sony... on Iphone and android...
you connect it through a phone- or better iPad and you have lots of control. Works reliable.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

I've used Canon Connect on my 5Div a few times and it's worked very well.
There's some core functions that can't be overridden by the app, eg exposure mode (Av,Tv,P etc), AF/MF etc because they're controlled by hard switches on the camera, but I've not found that to be problem for my uses.

I can see why some situations might need features this app hasn't got, eg timelapse options, so maybe some other apps might suit you better.
As it Canon Connect is free I can't see any reason why you wouldn't just download it and try it out to see if it suits you.

leuallen

Check out Cascable. For Ipad/Iphone only.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

Has anyone gone on a similar journey searching for a good android phone app?
Well now you've got me started looking again...    ;-)

The first hurdle to evaluating different apps is getting to grips with Canon's WiFi options. Although my 5Div came with a 180 page manual just for the WiFi, a fair bit of the functionality isn't really explained well and some aspects are rather unintuitive.
I would expect to just connect to the camera with the phone, then fire up any app and connect. However it seems you need to configure a new 'connection set' for each app with a different WiFi network, so no easy flipping between apps.
Next problem is that there are only three connection sets possible.

Once you start to look at the apps available, some seem very patchily supported and developed.
I've now tried a few more and the only recently developed product is qDslrDasboard, which seems the best alternative to Canon Connect so far and has the extras the Canon app lacks eg timelapse, focus stacking and more bracketing options.

I can't understand why Canon don't sell firmware updates, or premium apps, for additional functionality. Sony seem to have managed this.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:55:55 am by Rhossydd »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography

I have used Canon Camera Connect periodically for a number of years. I have used it occasionally to take "selfies" when I wanted a new family portrait etc. I have used it occasionally as a trigger and viewer for my camera. (I used it with my old, since sold 5Ds, and with my EOS R and R5.) I used it for a full week while I was shooting on location in Miami at the start of COVID and my AD was stuck at her company because they had banned all corp travel. So, I'd take a few initial frames, text a reduced JPEG to my AD and have her approve the shot. Slightly cumbersome, but it worked and kept the client happy. Even now, I'll use that feature when working with my AD and she wants to send a studio setup to the head of ecomm before we start shooting.

Overall, it's not a bad app and a good tool to have in your camera bag/pocket. For me, however, I use it on an iPhone, but I can't see that it would be that different on an Android. Play with it and see if it works for what you want to shoot.

govindvkumar

• Passionate Nature and Wildlife Photographer
    • Photography Axis

I use the android app with Canon EOS R.
I mainly used it to start and stop recording videos. There is a bit of lag. Rest good, considering the fact that it is free software.
Nature and Wildlife photographer.
Photography Tips and Tutorials @
https://www.photographyaxis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up