Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1PRO Nikon/Sony/Fuji Merged Back into PRO  (Read 1949 times)

ronaldnztan

• Ronald N. Z. Tan Photography
C1PRO Nikon/Sony/Fuji Merged Back into PRO
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:26:15 pm »

I recently discovered the news that—although doesn't affect me in anyway shape or form—I am annoyed at the unnecessary resources that went into and now reverting back. Here is the link that I wanted to express my annoyance: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4416243437969-Brand-versions-removal-description-and-FAQ.

Like many of you, I have been a loyal and dedicated user of C1PRO going back to version 3.7.8.

I am thinking, why? Why did Capture One split the PRO into dedicated "modular" versions for manufacturer-specific only to merge/kill off these Fuji/Sony/Nikon back into the singular PRO?

It's kind of rhetorical, since I know the exact reason why. The manufacturers subsidized the modular versions for their specific cameras/lense etc. Regardless, it took programming and human-power to split the PRO into modular and now via the link above only to "streamline/merge" back into PRO.

With the initial splitting into module, I sometimes wonder, if these are the PART of the reasons for increase in upgrade prices?! There is no such thing as free lunch. TINSTAFL from basic economics.

I don't know...you guys...ever since C1PRO became its own entity as a software, diverged from Phase One, everything is a freakin' HOT MESS from the developing and announcing of features to customer support. I miss the days when us PRO license holders get our answers back within 2-business days on-the-dot.

I remained at version 12 PRO to express my frustration and let's see what the forthcoming version 23 is in stores.

Does this affect you? What are your thoughts? Pray tell.

Ray Harrison

Re: C1PRO Nikon/Sony/Fuji Merged Back into PRO
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 02:49:19 pm »

I recently discovered the news that—although doesn't affect me in anyway shape or form—I am annoyed at the unnecessary resources that went into and now reverting back. Here is the link that I wanted to express my annoyance: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4416243437969-Brand-versions-removal-description-and-FAQ.

Like many of you, I have been a loyal and dedicated user of C1PRO going back to version 3.7.8.

I am thinking, why? Why did Capture One split the PRO into dedicated "modular" versions for manufacturer-specific only to merge/kill off these Fuji/Sony/Nikon back into the singular PRO?

It's kind of rhetorical, since I know the exact reason why. The manufacturers subsidized the modular versions for their specific cameras/lense etc. Regardless, it took programming and human-power to split the PRO into modular and now via the link above only to "streamline/merge" back into PRO.

With the initial splitting into module, I sometimes wonder, if these are the PART of the reasons for increase in upgrade prices?! There is no such thing as free lunch. TINSTAFL from basic economics.

I don't know...you guys...ever since C1PRO became its own entity as a software, diverged from Phase One, everything is a freakin' HOT MESS from the developing and announcing of features to customer support. I miss the days when us PRO license holders get our answers back within 2-business days on-the-dot.

I remained at version 12 PRO to express my frustration and let's see what the forthcoming version 23 is in stores.

Does this affect you? What are your thoughts? Pray tell.

I feel the opposite from you (except I agree on the support). Yes, they've made some missteps but they seem to haven some of the negative feedback onboard. I like that they're more transparent (from my perspective) on what they're going to deliver, certainly over the past year-18 months. I like that they're getting rid of the camera specific versions because it simplifies things. Cost is less of a concern to me as the tool has high value for what I do. While cost comes into my personal value equation, it's at the bottom of the list. My raw processor is as important to me as my camera gear because it's what stands between my image capture and anyone who views it.  I just budget the 50 cents per day (or whatever) for the yearly subscription. I'd actually like them to get rid of the "perpetual license" and change to "subscription + off-ramp", that is, it's all subscription and at the end of the year you can either keep on subscribing or stop subscribing and keep the version you're on. In a way, it amounts to the same thing as the version-based perpetual license but it helps quiet down the upgrade angst and anger everyone goes through the entire 4th quarter of every year and Capture One doesn't have to go through the "upgrade as entertainment" exercise either - they just deliver features as they become available. I'd also like to see different levels of subscription - a cheaper option for those who want it but with more limited features (sort of an expanded Capture One Express) but also  an option for pro-level support (SLA bound) and maybe features added in from Heritage or Enterprise (a la carte additions for a fee, etc).

Ferp

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 05:36:17 pm »

I'd actually like them to get rid of the "perpetual license" and change to "subscription + off-ramp", that is, it's all subscription and at the end of the year you can either keep on subscribing or stop subscribing and keep the version you're on. In a way, it amounts to the same thing as the version-based perpetual license ....

Be careful what you wish for, because that ain't going to happen, at least not as you've described.  What you've described is a perpetual license at rental prices.  Rental means if you stop renting it stops working.  I hope C1 are smart enough to realise that a rental-only model is going to lose a lot of customers.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 10:37:20 pm »

Be careful what you wish for, because that ain't going to happen, at least not as you've described.  What you've described is a perpetual license at rental prices.  Rental means if you stop renting it stops working.  I hope C1 are smart enough to realise that a rental-only model is going to lose a lot of customers.

Maybe, but the model works very well for other software I use for my day job. “Off ramp” means if you stop the subscription (after a year) it continues to work, you just don’t get upgrades past that. Subscriptions are here to stay. We need an approach that gives the people who worry about subscriptions (I’m not one of them) some options. In my opinion anyway.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 02:10:20 pm »

Well, that's not the way the C1 subscription (or most of subscriptions) works. The day you stop paying, the software stops working.
The same way Adobe creative cloud works.

What you are describing is perpetual licence with regular payments for updates. (e.g. Topaz Labs software)

Ray Harrison

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:29:31 pm »

Well, that's not the way the C1 subscription (or most of subscriptions) works. The day you stop paying, the software stops working.
The same way Adobe creative cloud works.

What you are describing is perpetual licence with regular payments for updates. (e.g. Topaz Labs software)

Yes, I know that’s not the way C1 currently works. I’m aware too of how Adobe works as I have a subscription. I use a lot of subscription software so I get how most companies run them. :) 

But that said, while infrequent, there are other models out there and I use subscription software today in my software development role that does exactly what I describe. The company (Jet Brains) describe it as a “subscription with a fallback license”. Maybe you can describe it as you do as a “perpetual license with regular payments for updates”, but to me it’s the same thing, the same outcome. And it’s the outcome that I’d wish to see Capture One get to - that there aren’t two (or more) types of licenses (just one) and if you pay for a year (or whatever) you can keep the version you paid for or you can pay for another year. And that gives them flexibility to have different tiers of licenses if they want.

But hey, it’s not likely to happen so maybe not worth the discussion  :)

Ferp

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 05:14:11 pm »

I'd say that that's what we have now, a “subscription with a fallback license”.  Each year we are given a price for another year of updates, with randomly varying discounts.  If we choose not to buy the updates, we have a fallback license.  That's not how it's packaged, but in effect that's what it is.

You want the cost of another year of updates to be the rental price.  But that's not going to happen.  There has to be a lower price if you don't have a fallback license, as is the case for a pure rental model.  The fallback license has to have a value over and above a pure rental.

gazwas

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 01:04:27 pm »

Capture One are obviously trying to push the subscription service judging by their recent pricing structures so does anyone know what happens when on the subscription?

In Capture One of old you were given a licence code for each new version however now they "upgrade" the licence key so I'd assume if on a subscription, after the 12 months has lapsed and you don't pay for the next 12 none of the current or past version will work any longer?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 03:10:55 pm »

Capture One are obviously trying to push the subscription service judging by their recent pricing structures so does anyone know what happens when on the subscription?

In Capture One of old you were given a licence code for each new version however now they "upgrade" the licence key so I'd assume if on a subscription, after the 12 months has lapsed and you don't pay for the next 12 none of the current or past version will work any longer?

There are two options currently - the subscription service that you can pay for by the month or by the year. The year is generally the cheapest. Once the subscription is over and if you don't renew, the software stops working. The other option is what they call a "perpetual license", but it's really a "perpetual version-based license", so if I but Capture One 22, I can use it (ver 22) forever but can't get updates when the new version comes out (ver 23). It's generally more expensive on a list price basis, but it tends to get discounts in the 4th quarter, sometimes with the option to also get the next version included.
Pages: [1]   Go Up