Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad is unable to fulfill orders for a new H6D-100c  (Read 2206 times)

Joe Towner

Hasselblad is unable to fulfill orders for a new H6D-100c
« on: February 27, 2022, 12:42:44 am »

Yea, not sure why, didn't get a specific answer, but there is no communication as to why.

Parts shortage, maybe?
New product, not likely.
Discontinued quietly, I sure hope not.
t: @PNWMF

TechTalk

Re: Hasselblad is unable to fulfill orders for a new H6D-100c
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 01:26:27 am »

When a manufacturer is unable to fulfill orders for a product it generally indicates that they are currently out of stock. When this happens it's referred to as being on backorder or backordered. There are a multitude of reasons why this happens. It is not all that uncommon.

Let the speculation commence...
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 11:25:07 am »

Hasselblad wouldn't accept the order - which is worse.  Being backordered means you expect to be able to fulfill it at some point in the near future. Even being hand built there's a schedule as to when the next batch would be put together.

Even saying 'we're waiting on parts' would be better news than this.

TechTalk

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »

As far as I know, Hasselblad only sells equipment one of two ways—to a reseller who then sells to the end user or thru their online store. If you order thru their online store, it has no method for backordering items that are out of stock. For instance, I just checked the XCD 21 mm lens and it simply says "sold out" just like the H6D-100C does.

If you're looking to order one and wait for a backorder to be filled, you could order online from a reseller. Adorama will let you add one to your cart: "On Backorder - Order now, your card will not be charged until it is ready to ship." Better yet, talk to Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration.

https://www.captureintegration.com/contact-us

If you're really in a hurry, try checking with dealers to see if they have one in stock... like K&R Photographics. Like Steve, they're nice folks, easy to work with, and professional.

Personally, I've had to wait so many times, over the years, for backordered items due to manufacturers being out of stock that I consider it pretty common. For high-end/low-volume items in particular, I have often experienced lengthy wait times for delivery. I don't recall being given an explanation; but then, I also don't recall asking for any.

Are you actually purchasing an H6D-100C or are you conveying some secondhand information?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 05:00:21 pm »

Hasselblad wouldn't accept the order - which is worse.  Being backordered means you expect to be able to fulfill it at some point in the near future. Even being hand built there's a schedule as to when the next batch would be put together.

Even saying 'we're waiting on parts' would be better news than this.

Would you prefer them to string you along for a year or so?

They are saying there won't be any more, at least in the foreseeable future, so you should look for existing stock or at the second hand market or wait for a new model.
Being handmade does not mean they would make one. Every thing made since the industrial age has been made in batches from a stock of manufactured parts.
That means that you to invest a lot of money and then recover that over a period of time.
They have decided that is not viable.

That may mean a new 100MP camera, (or it may not).
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 05:02:15 pm »

As an additional note... Hasselblad is currently out of stock on the H6D-100C in the U.S. online store, but does have the camera available to order in their EU online store.

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/products/h6d-100c

The same is true for some of the other items that I checked (such as the XCD 21 mm, Release Cord X, and Battery Charging Hub) which are out of stock in the US online store, but in stock on their EU online store. Clearly there is separate inventory and stock for the US, European, and other regional markets.

There is one difference in the EU and US H6 cameras. The H6 is a WiFi device emitting radio frequencies (RF) and electromagnetic radiation. For compliance with the different EU and North American standards (perhaps related to bandwidths and frequencies), Hasselblad H6 cameras for distribution in Europe are configured and labeled for the CE declaration of conformity and cameras for distribution in the US with FCC conformity. The question regarding Hasselblads with differing CE and FCC labeling was addressed some months ago on this forum.

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 05:37:07 pm »

That may mean a new 100MP camera, (or it may not).

I think that really, it means nothing. In the words of Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 11:31:23 am »

The information was shared with me by my local dealer. I personally would not purchase a -100c, but someone wanted to & was willing to pay full retail price. We commiserated over the situation, and how as a dealer the've been left in the lurch.

TechTalk

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 01:01:49 pm »

George Harrison once saw a sign outside a church that read: "Gossip: The Devil's Radio...Don't Be a Broadcaster." The wording struck a chord with him and he wrote a song about gossip called Devil's Radio. The song appears on his 1987 album, which is a personal favorite, Cloud Nine.

The recorded album version of the song has quite a lineup of musicians: George Harrison – lead vocals, guitar; Jeff Lynne – bass guitar, keyboards, backing vocals; Elton John  – piano; Ringo Starr – drums; Eric Clapton – guitar; Ray Cooper – percussion. If you're a George Harrison fan, it's worth a listen.

There's also an excellent live version of the song with George Harrison backed by Eric Clapton.

https://www.youtube.com/George Harrison - Devil's Radio (Live)

TechTalk

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 01:29:10 pm »

The information was shared with me by my local dealer. I personally would not purchase a -100c, but someone wanted to & was willing to pay full retail price. We commiserated over the situation, and how as a dealer the've been left in the lurch.

Given the lack of any firsthand knowledge, the fact that the camera is readily available for delivery in Europe, Adorama listing it as backordered and B&H listing it as "more on the way", and past personal experience with both backorders and stuff posted online in forums and elsewhere, I don't find anything noteworthy in your statements. But... that's just me. Others may like this kind of nebulous drama.

MN

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 08:20:17 am »

George Harrison once saw a sign outside a church that read: "Gossip: The Devil's Radio...Don't Be a Broadcaster." The wording struck a chord with him and he wrote a song about gossip called Devil's Radio. The song appears on his 1987 album, which is a personal favorite, Cloud Nine.

The recorded album version of the song has quite a lineup of musicians: George Harrison – lead vocals, guitar; Jeff Lynne – bass guitar, keyboards, backing vocals; Elton John  – piano; Ringo Starr – drums; Eric Clapton – guitar; Ray Cooper – percussion. If you're a George Harrison fan, it's worth a listen.

Interesting answer. Congrats, you made it into my quotation collection.

I was more thinking in the words of Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing".

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 06:06:06 pm »

Much ado about nothing, indeed. B&H currently has the H6D-100c back in stock and available for immediate delivery. It appears that when they recently listed it as "more on the way", they meant it.

So, Hasselblad certainly appears willing and able to accept and fulfill orders for the H6D-100c from B&H.

The report of my death was an exaggeration. — Mark Twain, letter to New York Journal correspondent Frank Marshall White, written May 31, 1897 and published June 2, 1897
Pages: [1]   Go Up