Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 question regarding dampers. MK missing, PK works perfectly.  (Read 1123 times)

smikkelmit22

Hi all,

One of my epson's is facing a problem which i think is caused by a bad damper. The last time dampers have been replaced must have been years ago.

The issue, if the printer starts printing it runs out of MK after about 15". The first 15" goes well. I googled a bit and found this statement:" The damper keeps the pressure of ink flow to the print head even so you don't have too much or too little amount of ink feeding into the head."

I ordered a new damper and wanted to replace it, but, i'm unable (i think) to replace the MK/PK damper. I have attached a photo, you can see some sort of clip is 'locking' the damper in place. Just like the green and orange. The other one's can be replaced easily.

As you can see in the image a complete took the machine apart, but was still unable to get the dampers out. Should i replace the complete damper assembly?

All help is appreciated :)

I have updated the post.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:06:13 am by smikkelmit22 »

deanwork

Re: Epson 9900 question regarding dampers.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 04:16:46 pm »

On the 9900 , 9890 and 24” versions, you have to replace the whole damper assembly. This is called the ink selector unit.  Most of the time D1 just replaces the head unit first because they make more money doing that . iIf there is no damage to the head visible the first step should be the selector unit replacement. Older versions of
Epson and Roland printers etc  you could easily replace each damper independently just pop them in. They made it more difficult and more expensive, which is obviously the trend with them.

John

Hi all,

One of my epson's is facing a problem which i think is caused by a bad damper. The last time dampers have been replaced must have been years ago.

The issue, if the printer starts printing it runs out of MK after about 15". The first 15" goes well. I googled a bit and found this statement:" The damper keeps the pressure of ink flow to the print head even so you don't have too much or too little amount of ink feeding into the head."

I ordered a new damper and wanted to replace it, but, i'm unable (i think) to replace the MK/PK damper. I have attached a photo, you can see some sort of clip is 'locking' the damper in place. Just like the green and orange. The other one's can be replaced easily.

As you can see in the image a complete took the machine apart, but was still unable to get the dampers out. Should i replace the complete damper assembly?

All help is appreciated :)

smikkelmit22

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 05:06:19 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The head is fine, luckily.

In that case I will order a complete ink selector unit. Hope it works.

smikkelmit22

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 02:12:58 pm »

Note, if you replace the complete damper assembly, make sure you don't forget the rubber rings. If you do, like me, you will have a bad time. Had to clean the mess for two hours.

smikkelmit22

Another question,

I have replaced the dampers, it works fine now. Before I replaced the dampers, the printhead was leaking a lot of ink. That problem seems to be resolved.

But he issue of MK running out of inks persist.

I'm a bit out of ideas what to do now. Can't be the printhead, since PK is running just fine, Can't be the dampers, I have replaced them all.

Anyone got an idea what else to try?

Thanks!

deanwork

I would normally say to check your capping station to determine if it’s sealing properly. But if it works normally with PK then the the same ink line, head section, and capping station position should also work.

Is your MK ink old or low?  You have to shake the ink carts occasionally, especially the Mk which has the high carbon load and pigment particles can separate from the base. I shake all my black inks gently  before every session. I can’t think of anything else besides a bad Mk ink .

John

Another question,

I have replaced the dampers, it works fine now. Before I replaced the dampers, the printhead was leaking a lot of ink. That problem seems to be resolved.

But he issue of MK running out of inks persist.

I'm a bit out of ideas what to do now. Can't be the printhead, since PK is running just fine, Can't be the dampers, I have replaced them all.

Anyone got an idea what else to try?

Thanks!

smikkelmit22

I

Is your MK ink old or low?

Good one, I replaced it this morning. Same result.

I did switch back to PK, to actually see the nozzle test. It looks pretty bad as well. However, it seems to be printing fine in PK. See image attached.

I'm also getting error code 0010 now.

But looking at the nozzle test, something is wrong with MK/PK channel, since I can't get the nozzle test 100%.

deanwork

That is ink starvation, not enough ink getting to the head.

I can’t tell much from your nozzle photograph. Try to send a better shot.

If your head is not bent or delaminated most likely the black damper is  clogged.

If a printer has not been used for a long time it is possible that there is dried ink in the head itself though more likely the damper or something in the lines.

In that case if you keep doing head cleanings you will blow that channel and for sure will have to replace the head.

One thing I would try is the cleaning of the bottom of the head with a lint free cloth and distilled water or piezo flush, as shown below and if that does nothing I would order a refillable ink cart and put the pink piezo flush in it and do one cleaning to get it into the lines and dampers leave it for a couple of days, and see if that breaks it. It sometimes works. The fluid will not hurt your head and is used to put printers in moth balls for years.

Shttps://youtu.be/m8NkgKw7mDw

https://shop.inkjetmall.com/Large-Format-Printer-Cleaning-Kit.html?category=67#attr=50092,52755,56648,35682,17397,16099

https://www.garmentprinterink.com/products/clog-cleaning-syringe-and-attachments-for-epson-print-heads?variant=29240369119284&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&cmp_id=16251463189&adg_id=133059442483&kwd=&device=t&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=2626297380&hsa_cam=16251463189&hsa_grp=133059442483&hsa_ad=582666776764&hsa_src=u&hsa_tgt=pla-425067724502&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-DToLW09gIV-mxvBB3XmgdpEAQYASABEgJrcfD_BwE

John

Sent from my iPad

I
Good one, I replaced it this morning. Same result.

I did switch back to PK, to actually see the nozzle test. It looks pretty bad as well. However, it seems to be printing fine in PK. See image attached.

I'm also getting error code 0010 now.

But looking at the nozzle test, something is wrong with MK/PK channel, since I can't get the nozzle test 100%.

smikkelmit22

I have filled a empty cartridge with cleaning solution. Hit a couple of CL4 cleanings and will now let it rest for the night.

The printer is used almost everyday.  And I just replaced the dampers. But I agree, it looks like it got clogged somewhere.

Attached a better image of the nozzle test.

Hope it improves tomorrow.

deanwork

These photographs not useful. I can't tell anything from that. And it isn't the nozzle check pattern. You should scan or photograph just the K channel up close.

I would load the pink piezo flush fluid, not just any fluid, because it acts as a solvent to dissolve any pigment clumps. And, I would leave it in there a few days or even a week, not overnight.

If you are not seeing an improvement I'd buy another printer unless you can replace a head yourself.

Finally, carefully check out your capping station with a strong light and see if you can see if it's fitting the head properly. If it's not sealing the black nozzle that could cause it. I don't think this printer is worth investing in another pump / cap assembly or a head at this juncture.

John

I have filled a empty cartridge with cleaning solution. Hit a couple of CL4 cleanings and will now let it rest for the night.

The printer is used almost everyday.  And I just replaced the dampers. But I agree, it looks like it got clogged somewhere.

Attached a better image of the nozzle test.

Hope it improves tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up