Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D vs X1D II vs new release that is coming  (Read 2619 times)

The View

X1D vs X1D II vs new release that is coming
« on: February 20, 2022, 03:27:08 pm »

Those of you who have worked with both versions of the X1D - is it worth getting version II over the first and why?

Also, there are rumors that a 100 MP new version will be coming out. Do not need the 100 MP but maybe the new camera is more responsive? Maybe it has a mode to shoot 25 MP at a higher ISO with no quality loss, just resolution loss? That would be interesting. Also, maybe the next generation viewfinder would be worth waiting for?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: X1D vs X1D II vs new release that is coming
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:21:26 pm »

If you wait for the next model then you will never own a camera.

Have you ever tried to look at the current model?
In most places you just have to order them site unseen and wait, so I am not sure why they would be in a rush to bring out a new model.
The old X1D works for me at about a third of the new price.

If a 100MP model came out then for most people that would just mean double the storage requirement for very little benefit.
The camera would probably need to be bigger and heavier to cater for the cooling.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 12:23:00 am »

Buy now which ever makes sense for you. Waiting on Hasselblad is not recommended. Even if they were to announce a newer model today, it may take a year to get to you. Just look at the delays around the 907x & the X1D II.

Just do yourself a favor and check out the Fuji 100 - it's a huge improvement in AF speed plus the resolution makes sense for some.
t: @PNWMF

The View

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:50:46 pm »

Buy now which ever makes sense for you. Waiting on Hasselblad is not recommended. Even if they were to announce a newer model today, it may take a year to get to you. Just look at the delays around the 907x & the X1D II.

Just do yourself a favor and check out the Fuji 100 - it's a huge improvement in AF speed plus the resolution makes sense for some.

The problem with the Fuji is the slow flash sync time of 1/125th.

That's even slower than my current Canon 5DIV. With Hasselblad I get 1/800th at least.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

TechTalk

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 09:44:47 pm »

Those of you who have worked with both versions of the X1D - is it worth getting version II over the first and why?

I think it should be clear from the various and vigorous online discussions of photo equipment that the right choice for one person may be the wrong choice for someone else. This is to be expected since shooting preferences, priorities, styles, methods, and choice of subject matter are as varied as individual photographers.

There's nothing that really compares to trying equipment for yourself which you're considering purchasing. A Hasselblad dealer or representative may be able to assist you in getting hands on time with both X1D versions. If not, you can rent both versions before making a decision. Lensrentals offers both in their rental inventory and likely other sources do as well.

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/hasselblad-x1d-ii-50c-medium-format-mirrorless

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/hasselblad-x1d-medium-format-mirrorless

* Lensrental review of the X1D-II...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/10/first-impressions-with-the-hasselblad-x1d-ii
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:44:03 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 10:31:51 pm »

Also, there are rumors that a 100 MP new version will be coming out. Do not need the 100 MP but maybe the new camera is more responsive? Maybe it has a mode to shoot 25 MP at a higher ISO with no quality loss, just resolution loss? That would be interesting. Also, maybe the next generation viewfinder would be worth waiting for?

Chasing features or specifications is a race the present rarely wins. Only you can decide when you either want or need to buy new equipment and are no longer willing to wait for whatever may be coming next.

Chasing rumors of new equipment is a fairly common pastime online, it would seem. There is little likelihood of getting reliable information regarding features or specifications of new models very far in advance of a manufacturer providing a preview or making an announcement of some sort. Manufacturers like to keep a lid on that information with competitors and the public until they are ready to make an official preview or announcement.

Because needs [what you require], preferences [what you would like], and priorities [what's most important] are unique to each individual, It's difficult to suggest what may or may not be worth waiting for to satisfy the the wants and needs of someone else. Nevertheless, you'll find plenty of volunteers ready and willing to do so.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 03:42:10 pm »

The problem with the Fuji is the slow flash sync time of 1/125th.

That's even slower than my current Canon 5DIV. With Hasselblad I get 1/800th at least.

You can use Hasselblad H lenses on the Fuji with the leaf shutter.

Manual focus only, but MF isn’t very different from AF on the X1 D.

I wish Hasselblad well but frankly I don’t consider them anymore a reliable provider of pro photographic equipment. It has become a lifestyle brand.

I would not put their equipment on the critical path of any photographic project, not even as an amateur.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:45:57 pm by BernardLanguillier »

TechTalk

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 10:37:56 pm »

One of the more interesting reviews of the Hasselblad X1D I've encountered is from photographer Justin Mott after having extensively used the camera for commercial assignments for two years. Justin Mott's primary commercial work is focused on architectural/travel photography for hotel/resort clients. He also does editorial/travel/documentary assignments for the New York Times and other publications.

His primary camera for commercial work is the original X1D. Since the original model has performed so well for his particular needs and style, he hasn't felt a need to upgrade. Your milage may vary. It is refreshing to get a review from someone that has used a camera system for years rather than days. Here is what he has to say after long term use of the system for commercial assignments...

https://www.youtube.com/Justin Mott - Hasselblad X1D Review

In this episode, I review the Hasselblad X1D system after using it extensively for over 2 years on over 30 luxury hotel and resort shoots for the largest hotels in the world.  I use this system mainly for advertising campaigns consisting of interiors, exterior, architectural, and lifestyle photography.

In his gear descriptions, he lists the Leica M10-D as his go to for editorial and personal projects. The M10-D with no autofocus, no IBIS, and no LCD screen to be found anywhere on the camera, would not even be a consideration for a good many users. I happen to be in the camp that likes the minimalist no distractions design.

One exception to his use of the Leica M for editorial/personal projects was his use of the X1D for a project on Vietnam which was featured in National Geographic. A playlist of videos for that project is below for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist - National Geographic - As Above So Below | An Ode To Vietnam

pschefz

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 11:22:38 pm »

I shoot everything with X1DII and 907 these days, the original X1D is just a little slower to start up and overall handling, which might not matter for architecture/landscape but either way none of these cameras are fast. I came from gfx which is faster but not enough IMO to really make a difference. Sony A1 is tempting me but I know I would not use it because I just love the files from the Hasselblad.
I have compared fuji 100mpix files, I still prefer the Hasselblad files, but it comes down to personal taste IMO. colors are different.
what might or might not come does not really matter to me right now, I don't think the 100mpix sensor brings a big improvement, not sure at what size print the extra detail would show up and the latest PS AI upres magic levels that field again anyway. that 50mpix sensor really provides amazing files, no wonder fuji came out with a new body and some people have come out in favor of that body over the 100mpix one.
so I guess I am not sure if I would be interested in a hasselblad with that 100mpix sensor (if they can fit it into the body?) PDAF has drawbacks in DR (banding in really dark areas where hasselblad still has color fidelity) and af is still not comparable to A1.
some rumors point to a DJI body, it would not bother me, lidar af would definitely interest me.
who knows? IMO the X1D, X1DII and 907 combo provide the files to beat right now (other then phase 150)
schefz.com
artloch.com

BAB

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 05:15:35 pm »

buy the ii lots of improvements you can see a list on line.
As for 100mp they haven't updated the H system in 4 years so don't hold your breath, by the way Stubbornness was the torah reading last week maybe Hasselblad read it several years ago.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 08:43:17 am »

I recently did a test of three backs, a CCD Credo 60, a IQ3100, and a Hassy CFVII 50c - comparing 60mb, 100mb, and 50mb backs of three generations.

The findings were interesting -

- the older CCD at base ISO was not only competitive, but a bit nicer;
- the two CMOS backs at ISO 800 compared nicely to the CCD back at base ISO
- interestingly, the 50mb in the Hassy back held up quite well against the 100mb in the slightly older Phase One.
- the two CMOS backs held up well even at ISO 1600.
- There was no issue with shifting the backs 15mm (vertical, landscape orientation), with a 60mmXL. The Hassy handled 18mm of shift fine (to match the field of view of the larger backs).

Of course, the field of view with the IQ100 and the Credo 60 were larger.

In short, all three are fine - the IQ3100 probably the most flexible, the Hassy quite surprising in its capabilities (tuning the older sensor) and the CCD still great at base ISO.

Geoff
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:31:41 am by Gigi »
Geoff

The View

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 11:44:30 pm »

One of the more interesting reviews of the Hasselblad X1D I've encountered is from photographer Justin Mott after having extensively used the camera for commercial assignments for two years. Justin Mott's primary commercial work is focused on architectural/travel photography for hotel/resort clients. He also does editorial/travel/documentary assignments for the New York Times and other publications.

His primary camera for commercial work is the original X1D. Since the original model has performed so well for his particular needs and style, he hasn't felt a need to upgrade. Your milage may vary. It is refreshing to get a review from someone that has used a camera system for years rather than days. Here is what he has to say after long term use of the system for commercial assignments...

https://www.youtube.com/Justin Mott - Hasselblad X1D Review

In this episode, I review the Hasselblad X1D system after using it extensively for over 2 years on over 30 luxury hotel and resort shoots for the largest hotels in the world.  I use this system mainly for advertising campaigns consisting of interiors, exterior, architectural, and lifestyle photography.

In his gear descriptions, he lists the Leica M10-D as his go to for editorial and personal projects. The M10-D with no autofocus, no IBIS, and no LCD screen to be found anywhere on the camera, would not even be a consideration for a good many users. I happen to be in the camp that likes the minimalist no distractions design.

One exception to his use of the Leica M for editorial/personal projects was his use of the X1D for a project on Vietnam which was featured in National Geographic. A playlist of videos for that project is below for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist - National Geographic - As Above So Below | An Ode To Vietnam

Yes, that's a very good review. And he tells good stories. The one of the cocky fashion photographer and B&H.

What I like about it is that he is telling it from his experience. I can't stand those regular camera review with a few cheesy pictures attached. This guy knows how to photograph and this makes him a prime source. Very good guy.

The View

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 11:49:05 pm »

I recently did a test of three backs, a CCD Credo 60, a IQ3100, and a Hassy CFVII 50c - comparing 60mb, 100mb, and 50mb backs of three generations.

The findings were interesting -

- the older CCD at base ISO was not only competitive, but a bit nicer;
    - the two CMOS backs at ISO 800 compared nicely to the CCD back at base ISO
    - interestingly, the 50mb in the Hassy back held up quite well against the 100mb in the slightly older Phase One. [/li][/list]
    - the two CMOS backs held up well even at ISO 1600.
    - There was no issue with shifting the backs 15mm (vertical, landscape orientation), with a 60mmXL. The Hassy handled 18mm of shift fine (to match the field of view of the larger backs).

Of course, the field of view with the IQ100 and the Credo 60 were larger.

In short, all three are fine - the IQ3100 probably the most flexible, the Hassy quite surprising in its capabilities (tuning the older sensor) and the CCD still great at base ISO.

Geoff

I like the Hasselblad approach to color. The 100 Mb are of no importance - I like larger pixel and a great signal to noise ratio. As I shoot fashion the only thing is the autofocus. But I like a slower style and I am someone who shoots digital like film: every frame with intent so the speed is not an issue. I think I would rather go for a new X1DII than for a used X1D I  - I never bought a camera used.

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 11:28:53 am »

The upside to the X1D style is there isn't anything to wear out on it - there's no shutter, or mirror assembly - no moving parts.  So if it works fine out the gate, then there isn't something that's going to wear out on you later.

The lenses still have a shutter count, but that's all you should need to think of.  Buying a used X1D from a reputable seller shouldn't be a concern.
    t: @PNWMF
    Pages: [1]   Go Up