Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: Arca Swiss compatibility with Really Right Stuff  (Read 2786 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Q: Arca Swiss compatibility with Really Right Stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 10:37:09 am »

One other thing/issue to note, is that if you use an Arca designed Arca foot (like on a tech camera rm3di) or any Arca made similar product, the lever clamp from RRS will not lock tightly on the Arca designed foot.  There is no way to adjust the tension on the RRS lever style clamp that I know of either.  This only holds true for Arca products using Arca's own Arca mount.  It has always amazed me that RRS and Arca have slightly different widths to their "Arca" feet.   Thus on my Cube, I use the traditional thumb screw style release, not as fast but will tighten securely so no movement/sliding etc. is allowed with Arca made feet.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

datro

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 03:51:38 pm »

One other thing/issue to note, is that if you use an Arca designed Arca foot (like on a tech camera rm3di) or any Arca made similar product, the lever clamp from RRS will not lock tightly on the Arca designed foot.  There is no way to adjust the tension on the RRS lever style clamp that I know of either.  This only holds true for Arca products using Arca's own Arca mount.  It has always amazed me that RRS and Arca have slightly different widths to their "Arca" feet.   Thus on my Cube, I use the traditional thumb screw style release, not as fast but will tighten securely so no movement/sliding etc. is allowed with Arca made feet.

Paul

Wise advice.  I made the decision a while back to get rid of the lever clamp on my RRS ball head and replace it with the screw style clamp.  MUCH more secure and it allows maximum flexibility to use so-called "Arca style" plates (which can vary widely in compatibility with the Arca specs) from any manufacturer.  RRS makes nice plates, but in some cases for certain cameras the plate design from manufacturers like Kirk are better (case in point:  Sony A7RIII).  Now I just need to figure out how to get that D4 head that's been on my list for quite a while  :)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 11:18:51 am »

I was aware of the issue with the RRS/ARCA clamp. Like some of the others, I just got the D4 with the screw clamp. I've never understood why people flock to the lever clamps. The screw clamp locks securely and seems less likely to fail than the lever.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 11:40:24 am »

Thank, Eric, and I totally agree with your assessment of the value of the screw clamp.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 01:49:10 am »

I have been using the D4 and Cube for many years, great stuff to fine tune composition!

I also love my latest gen Gitzo GH3382QD head through, smoothest I have ever seen with perfect control of the degree of friction. This is faster than the Arca heads for some applications where very accurate composition isn't needed. As a secondary consideration, I also find them to be the most beautifully designed heads on the market.

https://www.gitzo.com/global/center-ball-head-quick-release-series-3-gh3382qd/

In the field I use the RRS Ascend-14 more and more though. It's integrated head with rotating base is perfect.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2022, 04:27:39 pm »

I was aware of the issue with the RRS/ARCA clamp. Like some of the others, I just got the D4 with the screw clamp. I've never understood why people flock to the lever clamps. The screw clamp locks securely and seems less likely to fail than the lever.

In the case of RRS lever clamps, I disagree.  Once locked in place they pretty much cannot be accidentally released.  And eve if one does, the lever goes to an intermediate position, that while loose, will still not allow the plate to be "released" and fall.  On the other hand, I've had screw type clamps become loose for any number of "rub" / tangle / and accidental "grab the wrong knob" reasons - OR - have them seemingly clamped down appropriately when they're not.  With the RRS lever clamp you "know" when it's locked securely.   This is the reason I go to the trouble of having the clamps swapped out on my Arca heads.   Before my "direct experience" with the RRS lever clamp, I was in the same frame of mind as are you.  Ultimately, we all gotta use what works best for us, though, for sure.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up