Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to bring a Z3100 back to life  (Read 613 times)

Endeavour

trying to bring a Z3100 back to life
« on: February 08, 2022, 01:26:11 pm »

I have just picked up a z3100, initially for parts for my existing z3100 - as I believed the unit was dead. It has been turned off for 2 years

however it turns on ok but is reporting out of ink in a couple of cartridges

So I grabbed them out of my working printer just to check, and knowing that there is ink in those tried them. However they are still reporting as empty

Is there a routine I can go through to try and get this thing working again? It would be awesome to be able to give it to someone as a working printer again (I dont need a 2nd one and refuse to take it down to my basement studio like I did my existing one)

deanwork

Re: trying to bring a Z3100 back to life
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 06:01:35 pm »

Turn off the Z, remove all the inks and print heads. Turn printer on and follow the panel info about replacing one at a time. Shake all the inks before installing. Clean the surface of the print heads with distilled water or water and alcohol if really dirty. When they are all loaded back in, print out the nozzle check grid and look for any
Missing areas or lines in the ink blocks. If any inks look questionable do up to two head cleanings from the printer menu. If any heads are still bad replace them. Any inks that are really low replace them.

John

I have just picked up a z3100, initially for parts for my existing z3100 - as I believed the unit was dead. It has been turned off for 2 years

however it turns on ok but is reporting out of ink in a couple of cartridges

So I grabbed them out of my working printer just to check, and knowing that there is ink in those tried them. However they are still reporting as empty

Is there a routine I can go through to try and get this thing working again? It would be awesome to be able to give it to someone as a working printer again (I dont need a 2nd one and refuse to take it down to my basement studio like I did my existing one)

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 06:22:23 pm »

Thanks, I cant replace the print heads because when selecting that menu the printer moans about needing to replace the empty ink cartridges first

but I know they arent empty because i just took them out of my working printer and they are 60% full

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 06:28:20 am »

Strange-
You can try open the cover- if the cartridge moves - pull the plug
Now you can remove the heads
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 03:17:21 pm »

IT LIVES!

ok so I can print now. But it needs 5 new print heads and 4 ink cartridges

just need to decide if I should keep it for parts, or by the heads/cartridges and try to sell on as a complete working printer

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 08:58:44 am »

Anyone know a rough price for a Z3100 these days?

just trying to work out if its worth getting new printheads and sell (although in fairness I would take the new print heads for my 'old' z3100)

or whether I should just strip the printer for parts incase mine fails at an awkward moment. I have the storage space.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 02:02:46 pm »

I restored my 44” Z3100 that is now 13 years old and it’s like new. It’s nice to have a back up using the same inks and heads as my z3200.

However, if I were to be making that decision now I’d probably pass. I actually tried to sell it twice on Craigs list totally restored for $800.00 and nobody was interested.

The deal is HP is trying to phase us out. The new inks went from $80.00 to $100.00 on the HP website ( slightly less if you have a good dealer,) and the heads are going up too. So that’s retail $1200.00 For inks and
$534.00 for heads = $1734.00. That’s a lot more than anyone will pay for the printer. And HP will not work on them so you are on your own changing belts, waste tanks etc…

I also learned that it’s a bad idea to use out of date ink in this printer. I just put a new unopened PK ink in my z3200 that was 5 years old unopened . It clogged my head and I had to replace it. It’s a gamble using old inks.

John

just trying to work out if its worth getting new printheads and sell (although in fairness I would take the new print heads for my 'old' z3100)

or whether I should just strip the printer for parts incase mine fails at an awkward moment. I have the storage space.

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 03:35:25 pm »

thanks for that insight, yeah I see the new inks are about $115 here

I wonder if anyone has had success with a refill of the cartridges using non HP ink?

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 03:57:50 pm »

I’ve not heard of it. If you do a search there are 3rd party Z 3100 inks available in their own carts and I think refillable carts as well. They won’t have the longevity, but might be fine otherwise, have not heard.

John

quote author=Endeavour link=topic=140205.msg1235944#msg1235944 date=1644611725]
thanks for that insight, yeah I see the new inks are about $115 here

I wonder if anyone has had success with a refill of the cartridges using non HP ink?
[/quote]

Endeavour

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 04:01:00 pm »

If HP are trying to phase out Z3x users, whats the alternative?

I like my unit because I print large but infrequently and the z3100 has served me well in this regard - what would I replace it with

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 04:45:28 pm »

Epson 9570 , Epson P 9000, Canon 4000, or the recent HP Z9+. Z3100 and Z3200 no longer supported though inks and heads and some parts available through other sources. My choice is going to be the 9570.

If you want to learn about the Z9 do a search on this forum. Most people prefer the Z3200 for better profiling, though they are painfully slow.

If HP are trying to phase out Z3x users, whats the alternative?

I like my unit because I print large but infrequently and the z3100 has served me well in this regard - what would I replace it with

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 05:29:21 pm »

Inks for HP3100/3200
I regularly check Ebay for inks, don't consider any that are more than 2 years out of date. I think you would be alright with print heads of that age also.

For Lt Gray, the two blacks, and Yellow, I use the HP 772 carts (300 ml) and swap the bottom cap (with the chip) from an HP 70 cart with same color. You will lose the ink remaining info, so I check by pulling the cart and weighing it, or shaking it. Best price is usually Blue Dog, around $125. Up to $152 now.

Endeavour

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 06:02:04 pm »

Thanks I am probably going to be ok with keeping the z3100 for a while longer, looks like the inks have gone up over the cost of inflation, then so has everything these days due to supply and covid issues.

plasakow

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 06:13:09 pm »

Thanks I am probably going to be ok with keeping the z3100 for a while longer, looks like the inks have gone up over the cost of inflation, then so has everything these days due to supply and covid issues.

I get my inks and heads off eBay as well, and have had no noticeable bad results regardless of their age.  I did get a bad head once, but it's anyone's guess if age was the culprit.

chez

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 07:43:12 pm »

I just picked up a 42" Z3200 with 10 spare inks and a roll of paper for $1,000 Canadian.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 04:11:31 am »

Inks for HP3100/3200
I regularly check Ebay for inks, don't consider any that are more than 2 years out of date. I think you would be alright with print heads of that age also.

For Lt Gray, the two blacks, and Yellow, I use the HP 772 carts (300 ml) and swap the bottom cap (with the chip) from an HP 70 cart with same color. You will lose the ink remaining info, so I check by pulling the cart and weighing it, or shaking it. Best price is usually Blue Dog, around $125. Up to $152 now.

John, roughly my approach as well. HP 70 and 772 carts. New or some years over date and in all the ink colors that are available in 722 carts. Heads I will buy new though. Over the last two years only 3 needed. Bought a secondhand Z3200 A version to have a back up but it had a so odd configuration (between A and B) that it was not to be resurrected. Price was low enough to be more than compensated by the inks and heads it carried. Have to strip the hardware to parts that could extend my 13 year old one if needed. It would be different if I was in my thirties, I'm way beyond that now.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Pages: [1]   Go Up