Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy wood frames with spacers  (Read 1275 times)

samogitian

Where to buy wood frames with spacers
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:55:19 pm »

Hoping this didn't get double posted. I think I deleted my previous post instead of posting it...

I am new to large format framing (up to 36 x 24") and am looking for some advice as to where to get frames online.

I went to the International Center of Photography the other day and identified how I'd like to frame my prints.

I will have my prints mounted on gatorboard for stability.

The frame should be a white wood maple frome, with no grain showing through.
The face should be 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" deep (I could go 1" wide and I could go deeper up to 2", but would prefer not too).

There should be a 1/2" spacer behind the acrylic (I can get that locally).
The print will not be matted, but rather the white edge of the print itself will act as a sort of mat, sitting behind the spacer.

Here is a photograph from the excellent Gillian Laub show that demonstrates what I am trying to do.
The frames and the spacers are the hard thing for me to find.
Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:22:43 pm by samogitian »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Where to get specific frames online...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 02:13:36 pm »

I would contact framedestination.com to see if they can help you.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mearussi

samogitian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 06:30:12 pm »

I've looked on all those sites and couldn't find any white-painted wood spacers. Maybe they are there but well hidden.

mfrohman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 06:55:52 pm »

For something like that you have to have them custom framed. There are commercial mouldings that most framers use but they have to be cut and assembled by a framer. Any pre-made frames you buy online are mostly going to be junk, especially at larger sizes. Your best bet is to work with a local framer unless your woodworking skills are good enough to make these yourself from hardwood.

A service like www.simplyframed.com can frame to these specs although a maple frame like you describe will only be available for their premium, handmade black label line which is quite expensive but beautifully done, with finger jointing which might be more than you need. If you don't want the grain to show through however, I don't see why it has to be maple so you can use their standard gallery moulding which is painted with a matte white finish. Otherwise, their specs exactly match the ones you mention, which are quite standard in commercial mouldings.
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 08:56:47 am »

The frame in the picture looks like a Halbe Conservo- Distance magnetic frame.

Here is the link to Halbe frame CLICK:

Distances, sizes, glass, material, etc... you can determine everything yourself.

I use these frames myself and they are built to last. The magnetic closure is very clever, because a relatively simple and quick image change is possible. The Conservo series is characterized by optimal conservation conditions.

maybe it fits for you...

Greeting Gerd

samogitian

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 11:22:49 am »

Gerd, they are not the Halbe frames sinice the photos do not float, but the Halbe frames are absolutely brilliant and much better, more modernist design than in the United States, where gaudy and cheap-looking rules (ok, not for high end works, but that's what you typically find in framing stores here).

I would purchase a number of these in a minute because of their easy of use and flexibility. There is a place in Texas that apparently has them. I am trying to reach them. https://www.theunitstore.com

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:29:31 am »

Having purchased more than 15 frames from Halbe (classic magnetic, not distance) I would say that those are the best frames I have ever come across. The mechanical design as well as their cosmetic design is impeccable.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 02:44:42 pm »

One trick I learned in the 1990s from a curator at a museum, keep things simple, keep things standard (consistent) sizes if at all possible. Makes matting and framing much, much faster, easier, less expensive.

I can recommend Frame Destinations and have used them for years. Their craftsmanship with precut matts and frames ready to use and great packaging of their products  that arrives undamaged can't be beat!

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

samogitian

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 06:07:40 pm »

I spoke to Sonja at the Unit Store (http://theunitstore.com). Halbe frames seem very good quality and apparently the Bechers insisted on using them, that is good enough for me. These seem like exactly what I want, a museum-quality, easy to use, and repetitive module that I can get in multiple sizes. I was also rather surprised to hear that they have a two week lead time counting shipping to the US.

Now I just need to figure out how many I want to buy!

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 02:14:06 am »

I spoke to Sonja at the Unit Store (http://theunitstore.com). Halbe frames seem very good quality and apparently the Bechers insisted on using them, that is good enough for me. These seem like exactly what I want, a museum-quality, easy to use, and repetitive module that I can get in multiple sizes. I was also rather surprised to hear that they have a two week lead time counting shipping to the US.

Now I just need to figure out how many I want to buy!

Halbe also made some custom sizes for me. Halbe frames have existed for over 75 years and this family manufactory is - as far as I remember - now in the third generation. The manufactory is about 80 km away from me, which is why deliveries have not been an issue for me so far.

Besides the really very good quality and the well thought-out design, the possible mounting systems are another important point. That's why these frames are very popular for exhibitions.

I wish you much joy with the frames.

Greetings Gerd

samogitian

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 10:37:55 pm »

I purchased a number of Gelbe frames today as well as three from American Frame for photographs by other photographers whose work I treasure (two by Antanas Sutkus, the greatest Lithuanian photographer, google him!).

samogitian

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 05:22:25 pm »

All the frames have rolled in. The American Frame order came yesterday and I'm glad it came first. They are nice frames although the lack of spacers is a bit disappointing. It's all fine, but you certainly need to think about what you are doing when you assemble them.

Then the Halbe order came in today. It was massive, coming on a pallet dropped in front of my garage. Those frames are absolutely fabulous. Rock solid, incredibly easy to assemble and disassemble, really the top quality I could ever imagine. Since I am not using mats, it's super easy, you just lay you print down, put the spacers on and you are done.

I'm a convert. I spent over $9,000 on them and 'll probably wind up buying a few more. Just to be clear, I ordered the Halbe frames on Monday the 4th. They arrived today, the 17th of February. Sonja at the Unit Store is smart, nice, and helpful.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:26:07 pm by samogitian »
Pages: [1]   Go Up