Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z mirror up control not working  (Read 629 times)

Dward

Pentax 645z mirror up control not working
« on: January 27, 2022, 02:27:14 pm »

The rotating knob that controls the mirror up function on my 645z has no effect.  That is, the mirror comes up when I push the shutter, whether the mirror up knob is set to mirror up or not. I need to have this diagnosed and repaired--any suggestions  about what the problem might be and who might repair this camera are most welcome!

thanks,
David V. Ward

jwlimages

Re: Pentax 645z mirror up control not working
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 02:19:07 pm »

Maybe I am misunderstanding you? But the mirror is supposed to "come up" when the shutter is pressed. I use this all the time when shooting from a tripod: first press of the shutter gets the mirror out of the way & starts a "countdown" of beeps (maybe one every second or so?); after anywhere from 6 - 12 beeps vibration from the mirror has dissipated, so a second trigger of the shutter enables a capture. After completion the mirror comes 'down' to normal position. Is that not what's happening for you?

If your 645z needs repair, well I have bad news. I believe the only authorized repair place in the US is Precision Camera Repair, and they have a 1-size-fits-all repair price of about $800 (!), no matter how minor the repair. I had to pay their price when my 645z stopped working with a cable release...

Good luck to you!

John

Joe Towner

Re: Pentax 645z mirror up control not working
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:14:21 am »

Yep, like John says the knob just tells the camera to M.UP on the first press of the shutter and capture on the second press.  On the next shot you have to press the shutter twice - once to mirror up, second to shoot.

It's not like the Hasselblad H series mirror up, where you can leave it up all day & keep shooting.  Yes, it's not ideal.

Good luck with Precision - in my 2 dealings with them it has not been good. No updates, no option to do some preventative maintenance. First trip was for a bent blade on the shutter curtain, second was a major overhaul. Both for the same price though.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up