Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-200 printer  (Read 618 times)

Jonathan Cross

Canon Pro-200 printer
« on: January 25, 2022, 05:09:29 pm »

I cannot get my Canon 9500 mk2 running on my old PC. In addition I am running Monterey on a M1 Mac and Canon does not have a driver. After a long time I now need a new printer and am seriously thinking of a Canon Pro-200. I do not print larger than A3+ and do not have high volume. 

Has anyone got one?  I print B&W as well as colour and Northlight has a few reservations re B&W. Does anyone share these?  I do not print on gloss paper at all. 

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: Canon Pro-200 printer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:30:02 pm »

I can't speak from direct experience with the Pro-200 but I had a Canon Pro-9000 and a variety of A4 dye ink-jet printers over the years.  All struggled with B&W producing slight colour casts green/magenta which, despite my best efforts, proved almost impossible to get rid of.

It was only when I bought a Pro-1, a pigment printer with dedicated grey inks, that finally I was able to get good quality B&W prints.  Moreover, I can now tint them successfully and the results are very satisfying.

My tentative conclusion from this would be that if you want to get some satisfying B&W prints without struggling with colour casts then the Pro-300, which is a pigment printer, will more likely give you the results you want.

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 01:24:22 pm »

I've had a Pro 200 for about 6 months and so far it's produced better results in colour than my previous pigment Epson R2000.  I've printed a few b&w with good results.  No significant tint under any lighting I've used.  For mono, the important thing is to set "black and white" in the printer settings (rather than printing a mono image in colour mode. 

Have a look at Keith Cooper's reviews where he's looked in detail at mono performance:
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pro-200-printer-review/
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/black-and-white-printing-with-the-pro-200/
and several others on that site.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 01:51:31 pm »

Thanks for the replies. In the UK the 200 has not been available for several months. I have looked the Northlight reviews of both the 200 and 300. In the end I have just picked up a 300 so now have the fun of setting it up and sorting out profiles for the papers I used with the 9500mk2 which I took with some sadness to the tip this morning.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 02:55:04 pm »

Shame you couldn't get a PRO 200.  I bought mine (in the UK) in May last year, when I had to shop around to find one in stock, but nobody seems to have it now.  However, having taken the hit on the higher price of the Pro 300 I reckon you'll be happy with it.  Keith Cooper seems to rate both well for mid-range printers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up