Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens  (Read 2286 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens
« on: January 25, 2022, 08:56:41 am »

I looked for the thread for this lens, but perhaps it was lumped in with other Nikon Z offering. It deserves its own page, IMO.

By this time, I have a number of the new Z lenses, and am especially fond of the ‘S’ series lenses. That being said, my most-used “S” series lens is this MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S lens.

At least for my work (closeup stacked images), it is like a dream come true. For around $1K, which is a small amount IMO to pay for a really capable macro lens, this lens became an instant classic, at least to my own mind.

It is tack sharp, and so very capable, at least in the macro or closeup range. I have lenses that cost many times more than the MC 105mm S Macro that are, as far as I can see, no better. And we have autofocus!

It is also not, in my experience, a heavy lens to use. 1.4 lb (630 g) feels light compared to its size.

Here are just two stacked images using this lens. At least for my limited style of use, what’s not to like?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Peter McLennan

Re: Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 11:28:56 am »

Michael, does it successfully do auto-stacking?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:41 am »

Michael, does it successfully do auto-stacking?

Yes, these are stacked by the Z7 II, internally. Works perfectly.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 03:12:59 pm »

Thanks, Michael.  That must be a godsend.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 03:16:58 pm »

Thanks, Michael.  That must be a godsend.

well, at first a bit threatening of my dignity, since I have stacked for many years by hand, but then, OK, yes, it does a good job. HOWEVER, the finest step "1" in not fine enough for some work. It should be '.5' instead as the smallest.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »

well, at first a bit threatening of my dignity, since I have stacked for many years by hand

Heh.  I understand completely, especially haven witnessed your incredible stacking expertise over the years.  I have the great grandfather of that lens, an F4 105 MF.  It has worn a lot of tape with tiny ink marks over the years from manual stacking.

Nikon sure does know how to make a 105 macro, that's for sure.  I still love mine.  My Z6ii would probably love your version. :)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 12:11:54 am »

It’s also well built and very rugged.

Mine on a Z7II survived a full 5s immersion a few months ago.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 02:54:49 am »

I like what this lens can do.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 03:45:30 pm »

Michael:
From a botanical perspective, what is the name of that gorgious white blossom? My sister-in-law that lives in Vieques,  Puerto Rico is curiious.

John

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 04:00:03 pm »

Michael:
From a botanical perspective, what is the name of that gorgious white blossom? My sister-in-law that lives in Vieques,  Puerto Rico is curiious.

John

Night Blooming Cereus

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 07:53:53 am »

Well, it’s less than ten days until the Spring Equinox, but here in northern Michigan, it is still snow, and if it warms even a little, it refreezes, and we have solid ice for a time. It’s way too soon for any flowers outside, so a few from a local flower shop will have to do.

I continue to be impressed by the Nikkon Z 105mm Macro S lens. For less than $1000, this lens competes with the best lenses I’ve got, and I have a great many close-up and macro lenses. And it is auto-focus, which means I can stack focus in-camera if I choose.

I always struggle to suggest a close-up/macro lens for beginner. Yet, this it is. Perhaps a wee bit expensive for a newbie, yet totally worth it.

Here are a couple from yesterday with this lens.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 08:10:10 am by Michael Erlewine »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 04:35:49 am »

Beautiful!

Yes, the 105mm micro is another outstanding addition to the Z mount.

Frankly most of the lenses rank similarly near the top of what’s available while being reasonably priced. Possibly too reasonably because many just think too good to be true.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mike Dale

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 10:11:33 am »

I have my name down for the upcoming 200-600mm and the 800mm so I really don't need to see these these horrible images to tempt me to buy the 105mm as well.

Please stop immediately. ;D

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 10:13:51 am »

I have my name down for the upcoming 200-600mm and the 800mm so I really don't need to see these these horrible images to tempt me to buy the 105mm as well.

Please stop immediately. ;D

OK
Pages: [1]   Go Up