Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Assessing the value of my late friend's XF gear  (Read 1061 times)

Eek

Help! Assessing the value of my late friend's XF gear
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:58:45 pm »

Hi all,

Thank you to all who are taking the time to read this.

Here is the short story: My friend died last year in a freak helicopter firefighting accident. It's been about a year and a half now, and his wife is now hoping to sell some of his things. She knew he had some valuable photography equipment and asked me to assist her in getting it sold. What we didn't know is that it is a full Phase One XF kit with IQ4 150mp back. Valuable indeed. Admittedly, as an RZ shooter, this kit is a bit above my pay grade, and I want to honor my late friend and his widow by working to get her the best I can out of what he left behind. I understand the responses could vary drastically, but I would love some unbiased help in appraising his equipment for sale on the 2nd hand market. If you can help, then I really appreciate it.

Gear list*:
PhaseOne XF body - less than 1500 shutter actuations
IQ4 150MP back
SK 35mm LS
SK 80mm LS
SK 120mm Macro LS
SK 240mm LS
Vertical grip - NIB
Prism Finder
Waist-Level Finder
7 Batteries
All the cases, boxes, chargers, and cables you could ever need

*Assume that all of the above is in like-new/excellent condition.

**Lenses and body have warranty through April 2022, and IQ4 150 has warranty through December 2023

Any help with what we might be able to ask and expect on the secondhand market, or advise on selling these items, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Mark
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:09:59 pm by Eek »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Help! Assessing the value of my late friend's XF gear
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:50:59 pm »

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your friend.
All things are worth what someone will pay for it.
I suggest looking up the new prices and starting with a percentage.
At the end of the day it needs to be sold.

Others will disagree but to me the best place to buy and sell anything is eBay. You have a worldwide market and some protection. Just set a realistic Buy It Now price and accept offers.

There is a guy in the For Sale section looking for an XF at the moment.

Good luck.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

MN

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 08:24:04 am »

I wonder what would be the most profitable: to sell it as a complete kit or to break it up and sell the components individually?

Or maybe breaking it up in two parts: (i) IQ4, and (ii) XF kit.

My rule of thumb for mint but "used" (even if never used) is 1/2 - 2/3 street price. But since there is still warranty, I would say 2/3 plus of street price would be a good starting point to be priced to sell. (But Fujifilm GFX cameras, in particular the GFX100S, have drastically reset the price structure of medium format cameras. This could be a bit of a shock.)

Hope of being of constructive help.

MN
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:25:13 am by MN »

KenTanaka

• Photography by Kenneth Tanaka
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:22 am »

I own much of the same gear in this list, so I could easily imagine my wife being faced with this task. May I recommend turning to a Phase One dealer such as Capture Integration or Digital Transitions?  They buy and sell used equipment routinely. Yes, you might not get top retail money. But this is not equipment that’s as easily sold as consumer gear.

MN

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 09:42:55 am »

May I recommend turning to a Phase One dealer such as Capture Integration or Digital Transitions?  They buy and sell used equipment routinely. Yes, you might not get top retail money. But this is not equipment that’s as easily sold as consumer gear.

Good point. Really professional not consumer gear, therefore, perhaps best sold through a professional dealer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:05:07 pm by MN »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 10:24:00 am »

I wonder what would be the most profitable: to sell it as a complete kit or to break it up and sell the components individually?

MN

From my perspective, I do see that listed systems offered only as complete kits often hold back some buyers. I consider it a negative tactic in selling gear. The only time it might make sense is if there are some items that are very low demand individually. But this is not the case in this situation, all these items would have demand sold as a kit or sold individually, so my general advice would be to offer it either way - modest discount if bought as a kit, but still available individually.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:08:09 pm »

From my perspective, I do see that listed systems offered only as complete kits often hold back some buyers. I consider it a negative tactic in selling gear. The only time it might make sense is if there are some items that are very low demand individually. But this is not the case in this situation, all these items would have demand sold as a kit or sold individually, so my general advice would be to offer it either way - modest discount if bought as a kit, but still available individually.

Steve Hendrix/CI

agree

take a look on ebay, number of kits available with the XF and various backs - and seem to get re-listed.
Which is understndable, the market for complete specific kit is going to be small - but once the right buyer comes along, it will sell

Alternatively, there are DBs for sale individually but not a single XF on its own (at least not thats available to ship to Canada) so although I am looking for just an XF, there is nothing for me on ebay.

my point being, if there was a reasonably priced XF for sale on ebay, it wouldnt be up for long :)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:18 am »

The parts are worth more than the whole.
- Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

Often people need a camera or a lens but not both.
Some parts though are worth nothing so you need to bundle them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:19:39 am by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 04:15:41 pm »

Alternatively, there are DBs for sale individually but not a single XF on its own (at least not thats available to ship to Canada) so although I am looking for just an XF, there is nothing for me on ebay.

my point being, if there was a reasonably priced XF for sale on ebay, it wouldnt be up for long :)

We have used XF bodies on a routine basis, and ship to Canada. Feel free to reach out to our sales team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up