Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stringy Skin  (Read 669 times)

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Stringy Skin
« on: January 16, 2022, 02:17:20 pm »

Arizona juniper

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 06:59:32 pm »

I could tell that it wasn't your hair. Wrong color.   ;)

But I do like it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:46:25 am by Eric Myrvaagnes »
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 01:35:12 am »

I like the design and the lines in the overall textures. Reminds me of horses manes. But I will say it does look noisy or sort of over-sharpened which takes away from the texture.

JR
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:37 am »

I like the lines and shapes… Very nice shot.

John has a point about noise but it might a desired effect…
Logged
Francois

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 07:22:58 am »

I like it too. (How's it look in BW?)
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:35:20 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Eric, been a long time since there's been color in these weeds!
John, it was shot at ISO 1600 and the structure was pushed significantly in the shadows and mid-tones using SEP on a luminosity layer. No noise reduction in LR. Sharpening, not so much. I may rework it depending on the print.
Francois, I was going for a gritty effect but grain didn't seem to be the way to go. We'll see. I haven't printed it yet.
Bob, your wish below. I pushed the contrast and highlight sliders a little on a LR virtual copy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:28:59 am by David Eckels »
Logged

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:14 am »

Just printed the color version on Canon Matte and Platinum. The matte version looked great to my eyes when it came out first, but the grain in the Platinum really popped, great depth. I think I will play with the edges and corners, which bother me a little. Of course, these were from the full size version, printed at 8x10, but I wonder if the down sampling for the jpeg(s) you saw might have exacerbated the sharpening even though I'd turned it off in the posted image.

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 12:44:09 pm »

Had another go at it. BW included ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 01:50:57 pm »

I think they are both better.
My pick now is the color version.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 08:09:42 am »

Both versions are better but I'm undecided between the B&W and the color versions…
Logged
Francois

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Stringy Skin
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 09:08:38 am »

I printed the color version and it looks good. Haven't printed either BW.
Thanks for commenting Eric, Francois.
Pages: [1]   Go Up