Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS6? Issue  (Read 712 times)

marvpelkey

CS6? Issue
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:33:48 pm »

My current computer is about 2 1/2 years old - Desk-top PC, dual monitor, Logitech wireless mouse, Wacom tablet and pen. I use CS6, and a couple other processing programs. Everything has worked well since initial setup. Except....

Just prior to the Christmas holidays, I turned off the power to the system (by power-off button, but remained plugged in). It was left this way for about 1 1/2 weeks.

Upon re-starting, I opened CS6 and opened a couple images. The workspace is set up so each image title tab is across the top, while only a single image is visible at one time (I think the default?). These activities took the usual amount of time.

However, now when I, either using mouse or pen, click on the non-active image tab, there is a noticeable pause (at least 5-6 seconds), where both tabs are highlighted (as if the image is open - but only the one image remains visible) before the images change. Prior to the Christmas shutdown, the interval between images was almost instantaneous.

This lasted for a couple days, then went back to normal for a week or so. But it has started happening again, and in addition I now find if I click to activate a tool, whatever the cursor was (e.g. like the "hand" tool) now changes to an arrow, and the 5-6 second pause also occurs before the new tool is activated.

Once a tool is active, the mouse/pen act as usual and the speed of the tool and an edit remain as they always have.

I have changed nothing, either hardware or software, and I find similar issues do not occur when using other editing programs. Closing/restarting/updating computer/software results in no correction.

Any suggestions on where I should be looking to analyze/fix these issues would be appreciated.

Marv

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: CS6? Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:25:57 am »

I turned off the power to the system (by power-off button, but remained plugged in).
If by that you mean you just cut the power, rather than used the proper shut down process, that's not a smart thing to do.

If a few proper start ups and shut downs haven't cleared the problem, the next step would be to restore the last saved restore point.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 07:46:33 am »

Kind of sounds like a video driver problem.  Is your GPU active in PS?  If so disable it and see.  If the behavior changes then update or reload the driver.

marvpelkey

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 07:47:36 pm »

Thanks for the replies,

Rhossydd - I likely used the wrong terminology. By "button" I meant the on-screen power Icon, rather than a physical button.

Mcbroomf - Thanks for the comments. I will do as you suggest to see if this solves the issue.

Marv

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 08:55:25 pm »

This could also be the result of using swap space instead of RAM, not using GPU or corrupted preferences. Do you have enough free memory before running PS?

You could also try to reset the PS preferences and then make sure you are using the GPU, have enough RAM assigned to PS and have properly set up the scratch disk.

marvpelkey

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 07:17:30 pm »

Thanks for the continued comments. An update to those who have posted.

The system has 16gb of ram, about 11gb available and about 6500mb allocated to PS.  Scratch disc is OK. Although the computer has an imbedded(?) GPU, it also has an additional Video Card (GeForce RTX 2060), which is being used by PS.

I disabled the GPU, but it had no effect on the issue.

I reset PS Preferences, which had no effect, either.

Rhossydd - I don't understand your comment about "restore the last saved restore point". Are we talking PS? I googled and could only find reference to restoring to default conditions. Is this what you mean and did I do that when I reset PS Preferences as above?

Thanks again,

Marv

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 07:21:10 pm »

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

marvpelkey

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 07:00:24 pm »

Thanks very much, Digitaldog. Made a post there, at your suggestion.

Marv

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 04:43:20 am »

Rhossydd - I don't understand your comment about "restore the last saved restore point".
It's the ability to restore your OS back to specific times. eg before system updates or software installs.
Worth trying if the problem is due to an OS, driver or software install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up