Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Q2 cropping  (Read 758 times)

Jonathan Cross

Leica Q2 cropping
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:00:59 am »

The Q2 and its monochrome version seem to be great street/travel cameras, albeit at a megabuck price.  I was reading a review and think the 28mm fixed lens would be a drawback to me, often too wide.  I then thought what if I crop?  Obviously I lose pixels, but what if I then used the super resolution feature in Lightroom to get back lots of pixels, but...  What would happen to the IQ which seem a real feature of the Q2?

Has anyone tried this?  If so, what happens to the IQ? Is it degraded significantly to make this process not worth it?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Leica Q2 cropping
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:51:56 am »

I'm a Leica fan, but that said, it seems a little perverse to pay all that money and not be able to take advantage of the Q2 resolution.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 11:39:26 am »

I'm a Leica fan, but that said, it seems a little perverse to pay all that money and not be able to take advantage of the Q2 resolution.
You may be right, but that would mean the Q2 is not for me. I have never really got my head round wide angle and even for portraits prefer a 50mm or 75mm lens. I am just interested in what happens to the IQ if one does crop and use super resolution. After all the Q2 does have crop modes.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

JeanMichel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 06:36:49 pm »

The in-camera crop is no different than cropping inside a RAW developer, such as Lightroom. The in-camera crop is a pretend crop, except that if you save the image as a jpg, the jpg file is cropped; the DNG file remains at the full 28 mm size. The DNG preview shows the cropped image, but simply using the crop tool reveals the full uncropped image.

Cropping to 35 mm results in a 30 mp image
Cropping to 50 mm makes it a 15 mp image
Cropping to 75 mm results in a 7 or so mp image

The Q or Q2 is a 28 mm caméra/lens unit. Full stop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up