Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question to Dan Wells on the P900 Paper Roll Feeder  (Read 584 times)

Kumsa

A question to Dan Wells on the P900 Paper Roll Feeder
« on: January 09, 2022, 08:42:51 pm »

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-epson-p900-incredible-versatility-by-dan-wells/

A terrific, even encyclopedic, review of the Epson P900 as the “goldilocks” printer by Dan Wells, left me with one question: what about the experience of using the P900 motorized paper roll feeder ? I’ve had quite mixed results with odd paper scuff marks.

Some other comments on my personal experience with the P900:

The Epson Media Installer (EMI) was a bit of a puzzle, but now it makes sense. I enjoy using the Epson Print Layout (EPL), and when I couldn’t add 3rd party papers I quickly become acquainted with the EMI.
The P900 still does pizza wheel marks, but they are nearly invisible except in the harshest side lighting. The alternative is to use the front paper feed and set “No Eject Roller(Glossy Paper)” in the Paper Setting menu. A few caveats on the new “No Eject Roller” setting:
 - This option can’t be used for borderless printing.
 - This option is restricted to the front paper feed.
 - This option prints much slower (to be expected).
 - The printer requires the correct paper and size to be selected when putting in the paper, even if EPL has the “App paper Settings Priority” enabled. Consequently, when loading the front paper feed, the printer needs me to select “glossy” or when it starts to print, it will reject the print job. That’s just fussy.

This option forces larger top and bottom margins ! Let me explain: the normal minimum margin gap is .12”. On any other setting (Rear, Front - fine art, etc.) my image can be laid out w/a .12” margin. However, once I select the “No Eject Roller” choice, the top and bottom margins are immediately reset to .79” (side margins remain at .12”). The printer’s GUI does tell me that, as I’m putting in the paper.

So, the pizza wheel marks are present on glossy black papers (again, only with very direct side lighting that wouldn’t be used to normally view the image). I had also hoped that the motorized roll paper feed would obviate the need for the pizza wheel marks. Nope. Probably my biggest disappointment with P900 is the persistence of pizza wheel marks on glossy, resin papers with an image containing pure black sections (or a background). It’s a *very* subtle imprint, but it makes me grimace when I check over my prints. I can give up the .12” margin, and accept slower print speeds, but to restrict the pizza correction to a dedicated configuration of the front feed is annoying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up