Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ’Snow Joke!  (Read 1171 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
’Snow Joke!
« on: January 05, 2022, 06:17:39 pm »

We don't get a lot of snow around these parts (Washington, D.C., area), and for several reasons—not just relating to the pandemic—I'm not wandering very far afield these days.  But I didn't want one of our rare winter storms to go to waste earlier this week and I exploited it with a couple of abstracts:


Impatient for the Arrival of Spring




Off the Grid




I also indulged myself with a more conventional snap of the view through the windows of the main stairwell of our house in Rockville, Maryland.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 11:27:18 pm »

Nice, both. I especially like "Impatient..."
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:27:29 am »

Two great evocations of winter with the first one being my favorite…
Well done!
Logged
Francois

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 01:19:04 pm »

I like "impatient". It would make a killer basis for a wood block print too.
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 02:54:43 pm »

It would make a killer basis for a wood block print too.

Something like this, perhaps?

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 04:12:12 pm »

Neat!
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 05:04:02 pm »

Here's a monochrome version produced by transforming the image with a convolutional neural network, but I like my Photoshopped one better.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:12:31 pm by Chris Kern »
Logged

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 06:07:32 pm »

Something like this, perhaps?

More or less, yes :). The pattern and color usage reminded me of a local artist here in Austin that a friend of mine collects - Daryl Howard
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 07:26:57 pm »

Another great variant, Chris!
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 07:41:33 pm »

Another great variant, Chris!

I fear I'm becoming increasingly confused about which is the "real" image and which are the derivatives.  Brave new (computational photography) world.

Michael West

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1453
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 09:26:57 pm »

We don't get a lot of snow around these parts (Washington, D.C., area), and for several reasons—not just relating to the pandemic—I'm not wandering very far afield these days.  But I didn't want one of our rare winter storms to go to waste earlier this week and I exploited it with a couple of abstracts:


Impatient for the Arrival of Spring




Off the Grid




I also indulged myself with a more conventional snap of the view through the windows of the main stairwell of our house in Rockville, Maryland.

I was overwhelmed by the first image.

Entranced by the second.

I soent my formative years in snow country in Mid Michigan,,but I can not remember a "snow image" as memorable coming to mind from the 20 years I spent there.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 11:15:44 pm »

I fear I'm becoming increasingly confused about which is the "real" image and which are the derivatives.  Brave new (computational photography) world.
The "real" image is the one that looks the most like Marilyn Monroe.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 02:53:39 pm »

Very nice, especially the first. As a snow enthusiast and seasoned snow photographer I think you did very well. :)
Logged
-MattB

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 11:25:14 pm »

Very nice, especially the first. As a snow enthusiast and seasoned snow photographer I think you did very well. :)
Wonderful snow images. Shows you take images anywhere, but you really have to look - as we so often say.

JR
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: ’Snow Joke!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 02:08:01 pm »

. . . you take images anywhere, but you really have to look - as we so often say.

I gave cameras to two of my grandchildren when they were taking photography courses in high school.  When they asked me what subjects to shoot, I told them (channeling Garry Winogrand) to take pictures of anything that caught their eye so they could figure out what things looked like when photographed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up