Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a good photo printer  (Read 1309 times)

vanderloo

Recommendations for a good photo printer
« on: January 03, 2022, 08:21:06 pm »

I've had an Epson Stylus Pro 4800 for several years now and it's getting a little tired and parts are no longer available.
I haven't been poking my nose into what's out there lately but I knew this was the place to come for recommendations.
As much as I would like large format capability I'm a little limited for space. I would at least like to be able to print on a 17" roll.

I should mention that one exception would be if I could find a good large format printer that is also capable of doing production architectural drawings. Then I would be killing 2 birds with one stone. My plotter is a whole nother level of tired and that needs to be replaced as well. I have yet to find a good large format, quality photo printer that can pump out the cad drawings at production rates.
But in the end, most of my photo prints will be in the 16" x 20"-24" range.
Thank You
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:24:25 pm by vanderloo »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Recommendations for a good photo printer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 08:34:29 pm »

I do not think you can beat the Epson P900 for print quality. 17" width and it does roll paper although with manual cutting. And of course the unavoidable high ink costs!! But stunning prints.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 11:20:03 pm »

The 4800 is good but slow by today's standard (I owned two). I would think the Epson P5000 would be a good match for you.
I got out of Epson due to nozzle clogging issues and switched to the Canon ipf6400 which prints a lot faster than the 4800, which I bought used. Check out the printing speed of today's printers. They may be fast enough for you especially if you're just printing out CAD drawings.   

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:10:14 am »

If you want to stay with the Epson the 17" P5000 or the 24" P6000.
I looked at all the newer models and bought 2 P8000's instead. For me at least the extra ink models were not worth the extra money.
Same for the newer 7570 and 9570. Newer inkset, no black switching was not worth the uncharge in pricing.
That P6000 gives you 700 ml ink carts (If you want them?) Ink at around .35 a ml. P5000 ink runs around .46 a ml.
The P6000 is just a shade under $2,500 and in my opinion the best buy in town.

vanderloo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 10:28:49 am »

Thanks Everyone. I knew this was the right place to come for this info.
Right now that P6000 is looking pretty tasty. I wish it handled 36" rolls and could pump out cad drawings in a hurry.
But I might pull the trigger anyway.
I would still like to hear if there is a good option for a high quality photo printer that has cad production speed as well.
Thanks again.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:40:33 pm »

I do not think you can beat the Epson P900 for print quality.

Many reviewers assert the Canon Imageprograf 300 is superior for monochrome especially in the density of the blacks but the ink cartridges are minute so higher print costs but superior mono prints and of course limited to A3+.
In Vino Veritas

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 03:45:35 pm »

Many reviewers assert the Canon Imageprograf 300 is superior for monochrome especially in the density of the blacks but the ink cartridges are minute so higher print costs but superior mono prints and of course limited to A3+.
They have measured Dmax reporting of each? That of course is how such density should be reported.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 11:30:48 am »

If you want to stay with the Epson the 17" P5000 or the 24" P6000.
I looked at all the newer models and bought 2 P8000's instead. For me at least the extra ink models were not worth the extra money.
Same for the newer 7570 and 9570. Newer inkset, no black switching was not worth the uncharge in pricing.
That P6000 gives you 700 ml ink carts (If you want them?) Ink at around .35 a ml. P5000 ink runs around .46 a ml.
The P6000 is just a shade under $2,500 and in my opinion the best buy in town.

Hi, Dan:  If you don't mind, can you tell me if P5000 shows any "pizza wheels" in your experience.  As I understand it does have vacuum to hold the paper, but is it for the whole length of the paper or only a part of it and rest held with pizza wheels (as it's apparently done in Canon Pro-1000.)  I do a lot of digital negatives and those pizza wheel marks are a nuisance. 

Thanks.

:Niranjan.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 10:38:59 am »

Sorry if I was not clear. I have 2 P8000's. Was just suggesting the P5000 as an alternative to the new P900.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 11:07:29 am »

Sorry if I was not clear. I have 2 P8000's. Was just suggesting the P5000 as an alternative to the new P900.

Thanks, Dan for the response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up