Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gloss Optimizer vs. Spray  (Read 3265 times)

Roscolo

Gloss Optimizer vs. Spray
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »

Michael's review of the z3100 has piqued my interest (really wish HP offered this printer without the spectrophotometer).

Question: How would a spray over a print made, say, with the Canon ipf5000 compare to a print produced on the HP using the gloss optimizer? Can an overspray applied after printing do the job just as well?

ArdensEye

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:41:31 pm »

Michael's review of the z3100 has piqued my interest (really wish HP offered this printer without the spectrophotometer).

Question: How would a spray over a print made, say, with the Canon ipf5000 compare to a print produced on the HP using the gloss optimizer? Can an overspray applied after printing do the job just as well?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience in using sprays for art is that the spray is hard to predict and therefore control for evenness of application and potential bubbles.  I would practice with a particular product on something you don't care about much first.  

I have the Epson R1800 with the built-in gloss optimizer.  It produces dazzling gloss photos, much better IMHO than the expensive Ciba-chrome images I have paid a lot of money for.  Epson says, unlike a critic's point on this product, that is is to balance how our eye perceives gloss differentials, not to correct a faulty application of the ink by the printer.  Whatever the case, the g-o does a beautiful job and I would much more trust the even application of this than the spray.

As for your particular questions on the ipF5000 and the HP, I don't have either. When I finally open up my new Epson 3800, I'll try out a spray and report back.

AV

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:07:01 pm »

It needs to be understood that a gloss optimizer cartridge contains a clear ink. This is not an overspray.

What this means is that the gloss coating doesn't sit on top of the other inks but becomes part of it. A much superior solution.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up