Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using C1 for final output on Mac XDR or HDR displays  (Read 1036 times)

julianv

Using C1 for final output on Mac XDR or HDR displays
« on: December 28, 2021, 04:31:29 am »

I recently obtained one of the new 16" Macbook Pros. The "Liquid Retina XDR" (mini-LED) display is really impressive when viewing 4K HDR videos. This got me to thinking: Is it possible to edit raw files from my D850 to display a similarly wide dynamic range, specifically when making photo slide shows that run on the MBP, or on an HDR TV? If so, which software would I use?

Capture One, and several other products, are capable of doing a "merge-to-HDR" process. But this process is usually intended to combine several images, made at different exposures, into a final image that is tone-mapped into a smaller dynamic range, for print or sRGB web output. I'm looking for a photo editing process that produces final images which fully exploit the wide tone range available on an HDR display (mini-LED or OLED).

Some image editing apps are now including features to enable some form of editing for HDR output: for example, Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, and Apple's Photos. I don't see such an explicit option in Capture One 22. Can Capture One be used for this purpose? If so, how? If not, I would be interested in learning tips about how it could be done in other apps.

Austin Mann has a few comments about this topic, in his blog post about the new M1 Macbook Pros.

julianv

Re: Using C1 for final output on Mac XDR or HDR displays
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:35:12 am »

After more research, I discovered that Affinity Photo has good support for editing images for HDR display. When exported to OpenEXR files, and viewed on the new mini-LED displays, the results are stunning - closer to the brightness and contrast of real scenes than any computer screen I've seen. Note: I have not tried Photoshop CC. If there is interest, I can post a summary of my setup and workflow. But since this is unrelated to Capture One, the discussion should probably go in a different LuLa forum. Digital Image Processing? Other Raw Converters?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:38:44 am by julianv »
Pages: [1]   Go Up