Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 22 Photo Management?  (Read 1839 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Capture One 22 Photo Management?
« on: December 24, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »

Has C1's photo management features improved any? I have always for their catalog features be a very poor second, or third, to Lightroom's.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Ray Harrison

Re: Capture One 22 Photo Management?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 08:56:05 am »

It depends on when you last used it, but yes, it has improved. That said, I would assume that people who like the way LR does things will remain disappointed. Performance has improved a great deal and they've done a lot of work on importing options, exporting flexibility, search speed and so forth. My own DAM process centers around Photo Mechanic Plus for cataloging, culling, searching, naming, keywording and Capture One sessions. I'm starting to dip my toes back into C1 catalogs to test out some of their more recent improvements, but not much yet.

jlamont

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:07:30 am »

I moved from Lightroom to Capture One 22 a couple of months ago and it has been a very pleasant experience. I had been using Lightroom since it was first created but grew to dislike the way Adobe is running the business. Anyway, I had tried Capture One casually back in 2019 but backed off because of what I perceived as its inadequacies in photo management. This time I found the transfer from Lightroom effortless and the management capabilities more than adequate for my purposes (approximately a 3 TB collection). The only feature I miss is stacking. Everything else works as desired, with a very easy learning curve, and often works with a more coherent interface than Lightroom's. The post-processing capabilities of Capture One are vastly better than Lightroom's in my opinion. And I was able to purchase the software rather than subscribe. (Subscription does not work for me since I am out of internet reach for large blocks of time, which causes Lightroom subscriptions, for example, to fail and me to be locked out from the software.)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 04:14:29 am »

I moved from LR to C1P after being continually disappointed with LR's processing of Fuji RAF RAW files. That was about 8 years ago. In 2017 I sold off my Fuji gear to scratch a lifetime itch to shoot with Leica. I've been shooting Leica M and SL2 since then.

I agree with C1P's DAM capabilities were behind LR, but with each release of C1P brings improvements in its DAM capabilities. That said, C1P does have issues when image catalogs exceed about 50k images using referenced folders. My solution was to break my single LR catalog with about 150k images at that time into several small catalogues by year. Doing this makes it inconvenient to search across my entire image library but, unlike LR, C1P can have multiple catalogues open at the same time. This still doesn't fix the global search issue, so I now also use PhotoMechanic 6 Plus and Excire to search my entire image collection.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:40:33 am by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:55:50 am »

That said, C1P does have issued when image catalogs exceed about 50k images using referenced folders.

I am much happier with C1 v22 with regard to searching my 72K image catalogue. I would say it could still be faster but the work done in v22 makes a very large difference and I am happy staying with a single catalogue. I am no longer tempted to break my catalogue up.

I do create smart albums for each year and some smart albums for some common high level keywords I frequently search.

The only feature I miss is stacking.

Yes, I do miss that feature. There is one other thing that I would like to see regarding image management - picking different primary variants in individual albums. For example I want to have my B&W variant visible in certain albums but in others I's like a colour one. Or some albums I want the square crop to be at the top etc. - Yes, I am aware of the work around of using projects, smart albums with colour filters.

Everything else works as desired, with a very easy learning curve, and often works with a more coherent interface than Lightroom's.

Agreed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up