Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Status of MacOS 12 (Monterey)- Can I feel comfortable upgrading?  (Read 737 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Status of MacOS 12 (Monterey)- Can I feel comfortable upgrading?
« on: December 22, 2021, 08:48:15 pm »

Have my colleagues who've upgraded had any problems that should worry me if I upgrade to Monterey? In the past, I've upgraded the laptop first and test everything I can test before upgrading my desktop iMac.

I trust the folks on this forum to give me reliable, good advice on all things photographic and computer related.

I tend to be a slow adopter of new OS's; I usually wait six months or so before an upgrade. I currently am running Catalina on my 2020 iMac (Intel) and Big Sur on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I use an Epson 3880 printer. I use two OWC Thunderbays for storage, one is a 4 disk RAID5, the other is a JBOD. I use Photoshop 23.1.0 (current CC) and Lightroom 11.1 (current CC) as well as the NIK/DXO plugins and Lumenzia for luminosity masking. At the moment, everything seems to work just fine.

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

rdonson

Re: Status of MacOS 12 (Monterey)- Can I feel comfortable upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 10:26:33 am »

I can't speak for anybody else but.... I've had enough heart aches from new MacOS releases to wait until the .2 release.  Ex:  12.2.  By then the nastiest bugs have been addressed and most of my software will be better off from the wait. 
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 03:49:31 pm »

My policy, based on years of professional experience directing a group that managed thousands of desktop computers as well as my personal experience administering a slightly-lower number of systems here at home, is to upgrade when I determine that a new rev of an operating system has features or performance improvements that provide a significant benefit—and not before.  And, yes, I always test on an expendable platform first.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 05:31:08 am »

I always go to a mature system to prevent any hickups. So the latest big Sur in this case.
Must say that improvements are sometimes not so easy to predict. The internet provides information on the genreal things, but it comes to details; like is my printer still working as it should etc. The main reason for me to upgrade is that programs force me to. Like the latest LR at the moment and others that don't work on Mojave.

If you know Apple  they don't care for intel anymore; only there own silicon counts. So that would make me stay with Catalina untill i have an apple silicon machine.

Then i read that Apple silicon is just taking off (Diglloyd) not mature in handling Java-based programs well like Serene stacker...
etc etc

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 05:36:50 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 08:30:14 pm »

Thanks to those who responded.

I find it interesting that those who responded are like me, conservative in OS upgrades. There were NO responses from anyone who did do the upgrade, whether positive or negative.

Oh well... I think I'll sit tight for a bit longer.

Happy New Year to all.

Eric

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 09:56:15 pm »

Did the upgrade the day it shipped, no issues.
YMMV.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:14:59 am »

I’m usually quite conservative in upgrading my OS, but I upgraded to Monterrey in hopes that it would solve an issue I was having. It didn’t. (It turned out my MacPro had a hardware problem.) But I’ve had no issues at all with Monterrey except that it can’t find my Canon ip100 portable printer via Bluetooth. But that printer is 10 years old, and Canon doesn’t seem to support it any more either. The printer does work via USB.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up