Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7890 cleaning - any further ideas?  (Read 443 times)

jaybatley

Epson 7890 cleaning - any further ideas?
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:28 am »

I took a chance on a 7890 off ebay that was very cheap so I knew it was likely to have problems, but the seller didn't know anything about it so there was always a chance it was in working order.

Anyway everything seems to be fine apart from the yellow and photo black channels are blocked, they aren't 100% blocked, the top and bottom lines print on a nozzle check.

I have cleaned capping station, wiper blade. I have used the tissue with head cleaner technique to clean and also left it in situ overnight and in the morning there was a good amount of ink on it. But still the same results on a nozzle check. I have tried printing the checkerboard purge patterns several times but this has done nothing.

Is there anything else I can try before I write the print head off as being dead? The counter shows 55K pages.

Thanks in advance.

deanwork

Re: Epson 7890 cleaning - any further ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:55:14 am »

I have this printer and also the 44”” version. Unless your nozzle check shows clear head delamination, the problem is most likely the “ ink selector unit” which contains the damper filters that will become clogged over time. This is the weakest link in this model, not the head or capping station.

I took a chance on a 7890 off ebay that was very cheap so I knew it was likely to have problems, but the seller didn't know anything about it so there was always a chance it was in working order.

Anyway everything seems to be fine apart from the yellow and photo black channels are blocked, they aren't 100% blocked, the top and bottom lines print on a nozzle check.

I have cleaned capping station, wiper blade. I have used the tissue with head cleaner technique to clean and also left it in situ overnight and in the morning there was a good amount of ink on it. But still the same results on a nozzle check. I have tried printing the checkerboard purge patterns several times but this has done nothing.

Is there anything else I can try before I write the print head off as being dead? The counter shows 55K pages.

Thanks in advance.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 04:55:48 pm »

Some people claim that doing the overnight soak with ammonia-containing Windex can do the trick. It did not work for my 7900 but worth a try?

jaybatley

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 06:07:40 am »

I have this printer and also the 44”” version. Unless your nozzle check shows clear head delamination, the problem is most likely the “ ink selector unit” which contains the damper filters that will become clogged over time. This is the weakest link in this model, not the head or capping station.

Hi what does delamination look like on a nozzle check please?

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:42:47 am »

Please post a nozzle check and someone will tell you whether it's a head problem. Thanks.

Tony

jaybatley

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 10:07:44 am »

here is the nozzle check - the yellow is just the same as the PK

Pages: [1]   Go Up