Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge slowness?  (Read 1226 times)

Redcrown

Bridge slowness?
« on: December 03, 2021, 01:40:13 pm »

Bridge cache performance has always been a little problematic, and with the latest version (12.0.0.234) on Windows 10 I'm seeing a little slowness that was not there in previous versions.

When I bounce around between "old" folders that have been previously cached, it takes 10 to 15 seconds for Bridge to finish the thumbnail display and allow smooth scrolling for image selection. The little spinning wheel in the bottom left status bar shows this. This is on folders with 100 to 150 images, a mix of tif, jpeg and raw. The more images, the longer the delay of course.

If I bounce back and forth between just 2 folders, the delay is only on the initial visit. After that, response is almost instant, maybe 1 to 2 seconds. But if I visit more folders, and then come back to the 1st folder, the 10-15 second delay returns.

This seems to indicate there is a cache somewhere that is fairly small. My main Bridge cache is huge, 150 GB. My Camera Raw cache is 30 GB. I'm not aware of any other cache. Is there one?

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: Bridge slowness?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 10:01:40 am »

It might be possible that your new Bridge installed its own cache location so it does not have access to the old one with all the thumbnail so it has to create new ones.  Also may be the cache limit (it's set as no. of items, not file size) is set lower than your old version.  Check in the Preferences>Cache

:Niranjan.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Re: Bridge slowness?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:02:32 pm »

It’s probably endlessly generating previews and will never end the cycle. It’s best to set thumbnail option to Embedded. And preview generation on demand. This resolves 100% use of a single core.
Pages: [1]   Go Up