Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hi Res Cameras - file size issues  (Read 566 times)

Gurtch

New Hi Res Cameras - file size issues
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:42:54 pm »

I am a senior non-pro, seriously involved in photography since my first darkroom in 1959. I switched to digital capture around 2000. The files were inferior to my medium format scanned negative files. In 2002, I purchased a Canon 1DS, (full frame 11 mpixel),  for about $8,000; it was state of the art.  For each camera upgrade the files got bigger. My workflow was, and still is: keep recent raw files and Photoshop processed files on my PC internal drives, (both SSD drives, one for the operating system and programs, and one for active files). I eventually transfer the files to duplicate external storage. When I started out I used CDs, of which I have 157 pairs. The files got too large so I switched to DVDs, of which I have 92 pairs, then to Blueray discs of which I have 8 pairs. The camera files continued to get bigger, and I switched to duplicate external hard drives. I currently use a Sony A7RIV, and Fuji GFX 100S, and the cameras use lossless compressed files, but they are still huge. I know storage gets cheaper all the time, but is it harmful to allow the external drives to compress the already lossless compressed files? To complicate matters, I have another larger external drive, and Backup Program (called AShampoo), to once a week back up both internal SSDs, as well as one of the two external permanent file drives. If I were starting out today, and much younger (I am 84), the cloud storage, for a monthly fee would probably make sense. To give you a rough idea of my files, I have about 900 Photoshop "finished files", ready to print and frame from digital capture. Also about 150 likewise Photoshop finished files from scanned negatives. The A7Riv raw files are about 61,000 kb, the GFX 100s files are about 112,000 kb. Typical Photoshop finished files are about 352,000 kb for the Sony, and 600,000 for the Fuji. I will also post on the Computer Board.
Thanks a million
Dave
Web site:   www.modernpictorials.com

Joe Towner

Re: New Hi Res Cameras - file size issues
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:54:21 pm »

Go ahead and delete this - it's better discussed under the computer thread. Just replied over there.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up