Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pricing for prints to be used in a single store of a major coffee house  (Read 962 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums

I received an email and then an arranged phone call from a store designer of a major international coffee house who want to purchase exclusive rights to 3 of my photos for a redesign of a single store that is in my neighborhood. The designer said they want to place three photos of my neighborhood beach in a store close to the beach. They asked me to send them a quote as to how much I would want to be compensated. They said I could be involved with their printer to ensure print is to my satisfaction blah blah.I indicated that I really don't have a passion for the printing side of the process and once I sell the rights they could print them in B&W or hang them upside down for all I care..

But the next step is a quote. they want me to quote a price to them......Any advice? Would $1000 per photo be too little or too much? It is a bit of a conundrum for me...they are a multi-billion dollar company but want art exclusive only to the one store (this is permanent art, not part of a planned rotating art display). This will not be used by corporate office for promotion or in any digital form....I failed to ask if this is a competitive bid, if other artists had been contacted but that was never suggested and I doubt this is the case.
My only fear is that I ask for too much and price myself out.
Also they are buying exclusive rights. I could not use any of those three images in any potential neighborhood calendar that I was planning on developing in 3 years when I retire from my day job. There is a local photographer, a bit of a hack, who sells about 10,000 of these through a neighborhood Facebook group. I am also active in the FB group and members seem to prefer my style over the established photographer (he is retired and a long time resident). Members continually ask if I put together a calendar or sell prints but I have resisted because I have a FT job. I shoot in my spare time and don't want a part time photography job.

She has since sent me an artists' rendering of the redesigned coffee store with my 3 photos prominently displayed in the large dining/drinking room. If they have artists doing renderings they must have a large budget. As a noobie I just don't want to sell myself too cheap.

Any thoughts on the pricing?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:58:09 pm by Philmar »

Joe Towner

Re: Pricing for prints to be used in a single store of a major coffee house
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 10:15:02 pm »

Your shots may end up in the background of anything shot in that space, hence the whole 'exclusive license' fun.  $1k isn't that much in the big scope of things, but the designer may be working within a budget.  I would be cautious as going too high would allow for someone to come in and build a composite similar to yours, that they would own outright.
t: @PNWMF

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 09:24:05 am »

Your shots may end up in the background of anything shot in that space, hence the whole 'exclusive license' fun.  $1k isn't that much in the big scope of things, but the designer may be working within a budget.  I would be cautious as going too high would allow for someone to come in and build a composite similar to yours, that they would own outright.

Hi,

This is so often the truth...

Peter

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 10:44:03 am »

Have you asked them what they've budgeted?  Be upfront with them.  Do you know a commercial printer who does these kind of prints and work.  Contact them and ask their opinion. They might know what these things cost.  The geographic area also matters.  What someone pays in NYC will be different than a smaller town.  If the store is being built by a national company, their budgeting might be higher than someone who is just building one store as a franchise.  The fact they want your photos means it has just what they're looking for.  It wouldn't be that easy to get someone to duplicate because it's local to the store.  $1000 each sound good to me but I'm not experienced enough.  But I don't think that sounds too high as the costs for the designer are probably pretty high too.

Lastly, I know you're busy.  But offering to spend time with the printer at let's say $400 for a half-day might be appreciated by them plus make you a little more money.  It would create goodwill and make whatever you charge for the pictures worth even more.  They're buying your expertise as well.  It will make their job easier something a busy designer would appreciate.  It's a good way to make contacts and learn new stuff that will make your future sales more valuable. 

In any case, those are my ideas.  Good luck. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 10:54:42 am »

I was just thinking,  They could have easily budgeted $10,000 for the pictures and printing and special mounting.  You really need to feel them out.  Maybe you can find estimates for this stuff on the web.
Pages: [1]   Go Up