Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 11 broken for Capture One processed files  (Read 1076 times)

vjbelle

Windows 11 broken for Capture One processed files
« on: November 26, 2021, 11:09:59 am »

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 only to find out - too late - that files that are processed in Capture One and brought into PS are highly over saturated.  They appear that way in Bridge and PS.  I don't know where the issue is but it is either 11 or Adobe.  Any file processed in Capture One regardless of the version of Capture One appears over saturated. Everything is fine as long as a raw file is processed in either Capture One or Adobe and stays in that platform but that is not my workflow.  It's not the end of the world as I can bring the files over to one of my Macs which don't have this issue but they were purchased for portability and not for power.  Printing also becomes an issue but again my Macs can take over that task. 

I found out too late that I wasn't able to revert back to Windows 10 easily as I was beyond the 10 day evaluation time frame.  The only way now is with a clean install of 10 and that is a real PITA having to reinstall all of my programs.  My advice is if you use Capture One and are on a Windows platform DO NOT upgrade to Windows 11. 

I cross posted this issue in the Capture One forum.....

Victor B.

vjbelle

Re: Windows 11 broken for Capture One processed files
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 01:15:12 pm »

Thank you...... Andrew.  At least I'm not alone.  I actually do have a disk image with my gold standard for disk imaging (Image for Windows).  I was able to go back to that date which has the original Windows 10 files located in 'Windows Old' but so far have not been successful trying to revert.  I have to manually set the clock back to my update time but by the time I do that Windows seems to figure out the correct date and won't let me revert.  A real bummer.....

I am anxiously awaiting the upgrade of the Mac Mini which could replace my Windows setup for a desktop solution. 

Victor B.

geneo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 02:45:51 pm »

It is also broken for color calibration on Eizo monitors with ColorNavigator  because a Windows 11 bug doesn't allow the ICC profiles to be read back. Eizo recommends not upgrading to Windows 11 for the time being. Microsoft fixed this in the dev branch well before the October release but it doesn't appear to be a priority for them to propagate the fix into an official release.  Or maybe they are just lazy.

Also QA validation with i1Profiler doesn't work with any monitor because it can't read ICC profiles.

I am back on Windows 10.  There is nothing new in Windows 11, in fact they have taken useful UI features away.  I will upgrade though once they fix this and the release is stable. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 02:48:58 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 03:00:51 pm »

You would think that Microsoft would give this some sort of priority.  Color management is an important issue as there are numerous industrial software applications that also need accurate color rendition.  I can do a clean install but what a PITA.

Never again will I be in this mess. 

Victor B.

geneo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 06:06:55 pm »

You would think that Microsoft would give this some sort of priority.  Color management is an important issue as there are numerous industrial software applications that also need accurate color rendition.  I can do a clean install but what a PITA.

Never again will I be in this mess. 

Victor B.

Yes. I had a backup I restored to but still a major pain.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 06:36:09 pm »

You would think that Microsoft would give this some sort of priority.
It has never been color management. Look how long it took for them to color managed their photo browsers.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 12:00:46 am »

It is really incredible how Microsoft cannot get it right at this stage. Even their color engine, Microsoft ICM, is crappy at best.
A company with a Market cap above 2 Trillion.

geneo

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 06:01:42 pm »

It is really incredible how Microsoft cannot get it right at this stage. Even their color engine, Microsoft ICM, is crappy at best.
A company with a Market cap above 2 Trillion.

Like I said they have had it fixed since September or earlier in their  insider development branch. They really don't care about what their users think.

I was on the beta and then development insider program a week ago. I went to the development branch because they fixed the color profile issue (and a slew of other bugs which they still have not listed as open issues in the official release). I though I would only be in devel for a short time before they moved the fix into production  - boy I was wrong there.

Believe me you are not missing anything. Windows 11 is Windows 10 with a dumbed down user interface with a useful UI features removed, no new features of note, and lots of issues, and severe restrictions on what systems can run it (e.g only Intel 8th generation or newer). Probably just a way to boost holiday sales for  their hardware partners this holiday season

vjbelle

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 10:56:04 am »

I bit the bullet and did a clean install of Win 10.  I have everything almost back to normal.  A real PITA but I don't have a Mac solution for working with Phase 4150 files or even Fuji 100s files so better to get it over with.  I'll look at Win 11 sometime in the future. 

Appreciate all responses.....

Victor B.

geneo

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 06:52:23 pm »

An update for me. I am on Windows 11 again.

The ColorNavigator ICC profile issues are gone with ColorNavigator version 7.1.6.3 and Windows 11 22000.348.

Also, with Windows 11 I had encountered some issues when using 10 bits with the Nvidia graphics card.  When I had 10 bits enabled in the control panel, Windows button text for Windows Store apps were not visible, making the apps and store pretty difficult to use. I ruled out graphics drivers so it had to be a fairly recent Windows 10 update I reckon.

Anyhow this issue with 10 bits is not present in Windows 11 (at least the latest version).

vjbelle

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 01:04:01 pm »

Does this mean that the issues with PS are fixed?  That would be great new if true.....

Victor B.

vjbelle

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 04:17:38 pm »

I have just opened Win 11 and PS and I don't see the over saturation that I saw before.  This is just initial but maybe this is all fixed.  Would be great if it is..... 

I will report back later if I find glitches.

Victor B

geneo

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 05:51:09 pm »

I appear to have no issues with my workflow which is PS or Photolab -> Photoshop.

vjbelle

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 12:25:32 pm »

Files processed in CO are drastically oversaturated in PS.  Color management has not been fixed.  Files processed only in PS seem to display properly - don't know how they would print.  I am back to 10. 

Victor B.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 12:36:59 pm »

Files processed in CO are drastically oversaturated in PS.   
Sounds like either those files have no embedded ICC profile or the profile is wrong.
Files processed only in PS seem to display properly - don't know how they would print.
Indicating color management is just fine in Photoshop.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

vjbelle

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 01:09:37 pm »

Even with Win 10 there is some saturation increase for files processed in CO.  I don't remember seeing this b4 the latest releases of either programs.  I use ProPhoto as my standard icc profile and make sure it is selected for the export recipe in CO.  If I pull up color management in PS I also see it listed and selected.  That icc profile is one that I had to add to the PS color management workflow.  The icc version of ProPhoto profile is the only one on my computer located in spool/drivers/color.  It is used in both programs. 

Victor B.

Edit:  Solved...... for some reason the processed CO tif file opened by PS was being edited in CR mimicking my settings used when I brought the raw file into CR.  Don't know how that happened but I reset the editing to CR defaults and the files are now identical. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:25:40 pm by vjbelle »

vjbelle

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 03:36:06 pm »

Disabled Tif processing in CR so that those files are opened in PS.  This eliminated the possibility of double processing files from CO.  Win 10 is rock solid.  Win 11 is still broken. 

Victor B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up