Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Winter Landscapes  (Read 4191 times)

Legend87

Suggestions for Winter Landscapes
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:33 pm »

I am planning to take a few days to photograph some snow scenes for stock and personal images.  I'm looking for some U.S. location suggestions that are not too difficult to get to - but far enough off the beaten path that there won't be 100 tourists there.

I'm more interested in the snow covered country road, farmhouse - type scene as opposed to the mountains - but I'm certianly open to any suggestions.  I just haven't done any good snow photography in a long time and was at a loss for locations.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and Happy New Year to everyone!

L

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 11:58:23 pm »

I am planning to take a few days to photograph some snow scenes for stock and personal images.  I'm looking for some U.S. location suggestions that are not too difficult to get to - but far enough off the beaten path that there won't be 100 tourists there.

The US is pretty big chunk of real estate... you might get more suggestions if you pick a state or two, or even a region (midwest, coastal atlantic, Alaska...)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Legend87

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:24 am »

Well, to be honest, I'm pretty open at this point.  Since I'm travelling from Texas, Colorado has been the state I have been looking at the most.  I've also heard good things about Jackson Hole & Lake Tahoe.

I will be travelling in February, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

matt4626

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:41:28 pm »

Jackson Hole area should be great in Feb. Lake Tahoe is way up in the mountain FYI.

howiesmith

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:57:14 pm »

Well, to be honest, I'm pretty open at this point.  Since I'm travelling from Texas, Colorado has been the state I have been looking at the most.  I've also heard good things about Jackson Hole & Lake Tahoe.

I will be travelling in February, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are farms on "flat" land in Idaho west of Jackson.  Should be snow in February.

Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and parts of New Mexico could be possible for snow and farms.

Utah (and even northern Arizona) is a possible location.

US for snow covered farms in February is still pretty big, open and iffy.  Could include Wisconsin, northern Illinois, the Dakotas, parts of Michigan or New York.  And boku, even parts of Ohio.  West Virginia and western Virginia.  Pennsylvania?  New England?

Legend87

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:30:24 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions... now I have somewhere to start.
I will research a few of these and might need to follow up with everyone once I narrow it down a bit.

If anyone has any specific destinations that they would recommend - specifically in Colorado or the surrounding states, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »

New England?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The northeast has had virtually no snow this winter. Temperature today is in the upper 50s in Boston, and December was the warmest on record. We've had to get our snow jollies by watching the Denver blizzards on TV.    

I think Colorado sounds the most promising.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

howiesmith

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 05:39:52 pm »

The northeast has had virtually no snow this winter. Temperature today is in the upper 50s in Boston, and December was the warmest on record. We've had to get our snow jollies by watching the Denver blizzards on TV.   

I think Colorado sounds the most promising.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93741\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been very cold in Maine in July (less than 50).  Biggest snow I ever saw in Ohio was on Easter Sunday.  I probably have been colder than I was in Vermont one December, but I can't remember when.

My point is it can and does snow in many places in February in the US, even those in the 50s in December.  Just becasue it is unseasonably warm and hasn't snowed in December does not equal no snow two months later.

Tgarrett

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:10:41 pm »

Hi,  I live in Amarillo, Tx. and travel quite often to Colorado.  Beautiful photo
opportunities anywhere in the SW quarter that would be closer for you.  Pagosa, Springs, Durango, Ouray and Telluride areas offer a lot.  Enjoy!
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up