Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different blackpoint in non-colormanaged applications?  (Read 222 times)

memoriaphoto

Different blackpoint in non-colormanaged applications?
« on: November 24, 2021, 06:35:23 am »

So here's an issue that has been puzzling for quite some time. I am using an Eizo Adobe RGB screen (hardware calibrated) and obviously my entire workflow is colormanaged. I like deep blacks and tend to set the blackpoint to around 10-12 on black clothes for portraits in studio environment.

Now - on my screen that usually looks just right and the image really pops. Then I convert it so SRGB and save it. Now - when I view it on another random computer (or phone or any other non-colormanaged environment with no calibration - just a standard vanilla SRGB office screen) I would expect the image to look the same (well, at least close) but it doesn't. The contrast is higher and blacks are usually blocked/crushed. So either I have to compensate for that when editing in my workflow or just let the clients view the result with those almost blocked blacks. Which of course is not really an option.

So what is going on here? I remember having same issues when I was using a NEC SRGB display. Something is messed up between colormanaged vs noncolormanaged environment. Would it make and differnce to NOT include the profile? That said I believe more and more apps are becoming color mananged. I noticed that Windows Photos is now color managed?

I guess my question is... is my blackpoint higher in my calibrated profile vs standard SRGB? Meaning that I need to stay a bit higher on the blacks in my workflow if I want my blacks to look about the same in a non-calibrated environment. Proofing in PS to Internet standard doesn't really change anything. Looks about the same.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:52:58 am by memoriaphoto »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Different blackpoint in non-colormanaged applications?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:42:16 am »

Something is messed up between colormanaged vs noncolormanaged environment.
Yes, non color managed anything is a problem. sRGB without Color Management is a meaningless concept.
With Color Management, different display calibrations still produces different color apparance.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up