Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color cast printing on Epson p9000  (Read 1071 times)

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« on: November 21, 2021, 10:47:59 am »

Suddenly yesterday I am getting a green colorcast on prints coming off of an Epson p9000 printer.  The same image I printed a week back with no problem and the same settings now has a green colorcast.  This happens when I print from Photoshop using epson enhanced matte paper and using epson's printer profile for that paper.

I've tried it using various rendering intents and get a bit less colorcast with perceptual than relative colormetric.  There are no other settings I can imagine would affect this.

When I tell the printer to manage colors using epson color controls with no adjustments, the color cast goes away.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

--Kenoli
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:51:40 am »

And you've done a nozzle check?
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:01:46 pm »

Yes, the nozzles are all firing.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 12:58:11 pm »

Yes, the nozzles are all firing.
You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image specific issues causing the problems:
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »

I appreciate your response Rodney and wonder what I am up against here.   I print a lot of art, some original and some other people's art.  What I was doing yesterday was printing a batch of photographs made by an experience photographer.  He had done the color correction he wanted and gave me the images.  I laid them out on a large canvas to print for simplicity and to save paper.  I was wondering if that caused some issue, though I can't imagine why.  I then tried printing them separately and got the same color cast.  As I said above, it changed somewhat with changed rendering intent, but it was there.  Then I sent the print management to the printer, which I had never done, using the epson print driver, and the cast went away.

I downloaded your test print that is similar to one I use and it looks to me like the color cast is not there today.  Other things I printed today both using the Photoshop Drivers and the Epson drives do not have the colorcast.

I don't think it was the photographers images, per se, as the cast did not show up on the monitor or print preview and did not print with the Epson drivers, only the Photoshop drivers, but it is gone today.

I just signed up on the pluralsight web site and am going to watch your video, Photoshop CC color Management.  Is that the one I should watch?

Any thoughts on why I was getting the colorcast.  I have a spectrometer and was going to make my own print profile for the paper.  The x-rite software will let me profile the exact colors in an image.

Printing photography is very different than printing art.  The photographer I was working with yesterday was talking about Ansel Adams and how he thought Adam's skill was as much in the darkroom as behind the camera.  It makes me think that photographers should be their own printers today as printing photography seems to me to present its own challenges.

In the 1960s I had a lithographic offset print shop and a large darkroom and we attempted what we do now in Photoshop in the darkroom with chemicals and enlargers and our imaginations.  We had a large positive printing-on-paper camera and a large process camera that printed negatives for the printing plates. Photographic color photo separations for printing was too expensive and technical for us so we did the separations manually for the multicolor art we printed.  It was a different animal than today.  Gradients were created by mixing the ink on the printer.  We worked with an old 17x22 inch Harris that could spit out a thousand prints and hour.

--Kenoli
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 03:18:01 pm »

What I was doing yesterday was printing a batch of photographs made by an experience photographer.  He had done the color correction he wanted and gave me the images.  I laid them out on a large canvas to print for simplicity and to save paper.  I was wondering if that caused some issue, though I can't imagine why.  I then tried printing them separately and got the same color cast. 
Maybe you copied and pasted differing color spaces into a document and didn't select "Preserve Color Appearance" and used "Preserve Color Numbers"?
Print Preview in Photoshop is useless; that dialog box for years hasn't provided a correct soft proof or preview. 
But if gone, that's all  that maters....
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 03:23:16 pm »

Thanks.  I'm watching your video now.  I will pay attention to color spaces, I have not paid close attention to that in the past, though in this case I know that both the photographer and I were using Adobe RGB 1998.

--Kenoli
Logged

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 03:25:08 pm »

PS -- Do you trust the manufacturers printer profiles for their papers?  I used to make all my own profiles and more recently have just used the available profiles and that has seeemed adequate.

--Kenoli
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 03:26:49 pm »

PS -- Do you trust the manufacturers printer profiles for their papers?  I used to make all my own profiles and more recently have just used the available profiles and that has seeemed adequate.

--Kenoli
Not all  ICC profiles are created equally so impossible to answer (and I refuse to generalize  ;) )

Not all ICC profiles are created equally

In this 23 minute video, I'll cover:
The basic anatomy of ICC Profiles
Why there are differences in profile quality and color rendering
How to evaluate an ICC output profile
Examples of good and not so good canned profiles and custom profiles on actual printed output.

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Not_All_Profiles_are_created_equally.mp4
Low resolution (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdR_tIFMME&feature=youtu.be
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kenoli

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 45
Re: Color cast printing on Epson p9000
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 03:37:35 pm »

Great.  Well, you got me.  I'm going to spend some time with your videos.  There's a lot to learn.

Thanks,

--Kenoli
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up