Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teslas Locked Out  (Read 815 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Teslas Locked Out
« on: November 20, 2021, 08:07:22 am »

How does that work?  Do you have to have internet service and or an app to start your Tesla?  Shouldn't cars be independently controlled if needed?  What if we're in a war?

Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage
Tesla drivers say they have been locked out of their cars after an outage struck the carmaker's app.
Dozens of owners posted on social media about seeing an error message on the mobile app that was preventing them from connecting to their vehicles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59357306

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Teslas Locked Out
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 08:37:36 am »

Never happened on my Prius.

I guess I won't buy a Tesla.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:58:44 am »

How does that work?  Do you have to have internet service and or an app to start your Tesla?  Shouldn't cars be independently controlled if needed?  What if we're in a war?

Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage
Tesla drivers say they have been locked out of their cars after an outage struck the carmaker's app.
Dozens of owners posted on social media about seeing an error message on the mobile app that was preventing them from connecting to their vehicles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59357306

Now i understand he is launching all those satellites... :)
No internet ... No car
Went to Texas to be freed from Californian rules and Laws while deciding when you may drive your Tesla that you bought for $$$
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:03:33 am »

--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:11:11 am »

I watched a review of an EV, VW ID.4 I think. Part of the review was a stop at a charging station and the reviewer complained about the multi-step procedure for charging that model. Among other things, it seemed to involve his phone having access to a web site and the implication was that you needed a data plan to charge up your car. It wasn't clear if there was local Wi-Fi. It left me wondering if it was even possible to just drive up to a charging station and purchase a charge-up just using a credit card, like in the old days. I really dislike how more and more you need a monthly subscription and a smartphone to do simple things. Technology is supposed to serve us, not the other way round.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 09:16:39 am »

What if you're in the woods or a remote area and there's no internet service?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 09:22:08 am »

Maybe you can buy the satellite option?

A friend was locked into his Mini a few years ago. There was some fraying of cables which caused a short and the doors were locked up, no manual buttons to push to open them. Also, he couldn't open the windows. The rear hatch was unlocked, however there was no indoor handle so he had to drive to the dealer, call them on his cell and have someone come out to open the hatch from the outside so he could crawl out the back, not as easy thing to do.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 10:10:51 am »

No problem.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 10:16:05 am »

A friend was locked into his Mini a few years ago. There was some fraying of cables which caused a short and the doors were locked up, no manual buttons to push to open them. Also, he couldn't open the windows. The rear hatch was unlocked, however there was no indoor handle so he had to drive to the dealer, call them on his cell and have someone come out to open the hatch from the outside so he could crawl out the back, not as easy thing to do.
When I first moved into our new house and took a shower, I let its glass door slam shut so it jammed past the hinge side.  I didn't realize I had to hold it to slowly close.  A quick bump with my shoulder unjammed it allowing me to continue with a normal length shower.  I thought I was going to be in there until my wife got back.  No dealer to call or drive to.

I had a similar circumstance when I locked myself into a dark, walk-in freezer under replacement in a NYC High School project I was managing.  Panic set in and I used the same shoulder.  Fortunately, the contractor hadn't yet installed the lock. So it opened without a problem.  I thought I learned my lesson then but the shower innocent later on proved I didn't.   I must have a thing with doors.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 10:24:55 am »

The manufacturers' ability to control your car from remote has a real downside.   My wife and I went on vacation for two weeks.  When we came home, all four of the Lincoln's windows were open fully.  I know I had control from my cellphone to control the windows and doors and startup.  But I never used the app on vacation. So someone else activated it or it was a freak circumstance.  Fortunately, the car was parked in our garage.  Had it rained and the car parked on the street, we would have had a real mess on our hands.  It could have been stolen or strip cleaned.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 10:30:28 am »

That happened to me many years ago, it was in the woods without any telephone or Internet service. We were camping in Algonquin Park in Ontario with Honda Accord and my wife left the key on the passenger seat and pressed the door knob before closing the door. Fortunately, the next site neighbour lent us a wire cloth hanger with which we managed to unlock the car door.

On another occasion when I was driving a Mazda 626, my only key broke in half when I was turning it in the trunk lock. It happened in a small town 150km from my home, but I knew someone in the town who was returning in the evening to Toronto and he gave me a lift home. Fortunately, I had a spare key at home, and next day another friend drove me to that town where we first celebrated the car opening with a shore lunch and a swim before returning home. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:43:51 am by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 10:39:42 am »

That happened to me many years ago, it was in the woods without any telephone or Internet service. We were camping in Algonquin Park in Ontario with Honda Accord and my wife left the key on the passenger seat and pressed the door knob before closing the door. Fortunately, the next site neighbour lent us a wire cloth hanger with which we managed to unlock the car door.
My Lincoln has numbered buttons on the outside of the door that allows you to open it without access to a key.  Of course, you have to remember the five-digit code.   The car will honk first should you try to lock the doors with the key left inside.  The horn honks if you leave your key in the ignition and walk away, something I do on occasion. The car's almost stupidproof.  :)  For the things they missed preventing, like running out of gas, I keep AAA Auto Club.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:42:45 am by Alan Klein »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 03:42:57 pm »

One of the main reason's why I preferred the old school software agreements.  No need to have internet service to confirm licensing and usage.

I cant imagine being subject to this with a car though. Talk about being too connected.  Although, I have locked my keys in my car more times then I can count, once while it was running, and I had to break into my house twice so far doing the same thing. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 09:22:57 pm »

The original story was kind of cute, but really, all those drivers needed was their backup keys. If they don't carry the backup with them and rely on the internet staying up, it's difficult for me to have much sympathy. Do we really need wi-fi access to go buy a quart of milk? Come on, get real.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 09:46:34 pm »

The original story was kind of cute, but really, all those drivers needed was their backup keys. If they don't carry the backup with them and rely on the internet staying up, it's difficult for me to have much sympathy. Do we really need wi-fi access to go buy a quart of milk? Come on, get real.
I don't keep my garage roll-up door key with me or the main entrance door.  I rely on the car's remote garage controller to open the door when I approach.  What if there's a power failure?  Yikes.   I think I need to add the entrance key in my glove compartment just in case.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 09:49:40 pm »

I don't keep my garage roll-up door key with me or the main entrance door.  I rely on the car's remote garage controller to open the door when I approach.  What if there's a power failure?  Yikes.   I think I need to add the entrance key in my glove compartment just in case.

Well, a backup system isn't very useful unless you can access it when you need it.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 09:54:24 pm »

Well, a backup system isn't very useful unless you can access it when you need it.
Well if there is a power failure, we now have a backup generator for the whole house that turns on automatically.  If that fails, we'll have to break a window.  ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 10:04:49 pm »

Well if there is a power failure, we now have a backup generator for the whole house that turns on automatically.  If that fails, we'll have to break a window.  ;)

Keep sleeping bags in the car!  :)
--
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up