Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Annual Check In  (Read 431 times)

Two23

My Annual Check In
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:38:05 pm »

Got an email saying my subscription here automatically renewed.  Oh yeah, LULa!  I've continued practicing wet plate and have been doing it for just over two years now.  I started with 4x5 and now shoot 8x10 a lot.  I mostly use lenses from the 19th C. and shoot tin types.  My camera is a 1920s Kodak 2D, a very solid field camera.  I only photo outdoors and have built a nice dark room that fits in the back of my Subaru Forester.  While I haven't mastered wet plate collodion, I do feel I'm at least competent now.  I've been photo'ing Civil War re-enactors (we have a few,) abandoned farm houses, local waterfalls, and a lot of country churches.  I looked for a forum to post a photo or two such as "B&W photos," "large format" etc. but didn't see one that really fits what I do.  I guess I'm about 150 years too late for a forum here. ;D  I've just bought Watson & Sons stereo camera, half plate format that was made about 1884.  I  plan on trying to make stereoviews using dry plates when the weather gets too cold to shoot wet plate outdoors.  It's a beautiful camera made of Spanish mahogany, brass, and finely tanned leather.  I do own a Nikon D850 and excellent lenses but I just don't use it much.  I take photos on the weekends, usually driving hundreds of miles on the Northern Plains.  I really enjoy doing wet plate even though there are a lot of obstacles.  It takes me about half an hour to make a photo when everything goes right. :D

First photo I took earlier this year. Lone Rock Lutheran Church near Flandreau, South Dakota.  I used a Chamonix 4x5 and vintage 1910 Dagor wide angle (4 inch?) on Ilford FP4+.  Second photo is Concordia Lutheran Church, near Summit, South Dakota.  I used the Kodak 2D 8x10 and a c.1870s  Darlot Hemispherique wide angle (about 8 inch).  It's a wet collodion tin type.

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:11:46 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: My Annual Check In
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 09:21:42 pm »

Two fine images—subject, composition, technique, and treatment.  The tonality really is remarkable.  Not something that would be easy to duplicate in digital, or even modern negative film, if it were possible to do at all.

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:46:16 am »

I love them both. The quality of those images is sweet and as Chris wrote above, not equalled by more modern processing.
thanks for posting, bravo!
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 12:16:19 pm »

These are both very fine and quite inspiring.
I hope you will post more using classical techniques.
We do see too many bland, digital images these days, and I, for one, yearn to see more using traditional processes.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Two23

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 12:58:29 pm »

As I mentioned, I've been doing wet plate for over two years.  Also have been shooting dry plate for over three years.  I just bought an 1884 Stereo camera (half plate 4.5x6.5 format) and plan on shooting dry plates in it this winter when it's not practical to do wet plate.  I'm also reading up on Calotype.  Calotype was invented about 1839 by Fox Talbot and was popular in England & France in the 1840s and 1850s.  It coexisted with Daguerreotype until both were replaced by wet plate collodion during the later 1850s.  Calotype was considered the artistic method of photography as it has a softer image quality, and Daguerreotype was the preferred commercial style of photography.  I have no intention of doing Daguerreotype as it requires immediate access to a lab and can be highly toxic.  Calotype is much easier to do in the field and is dramatically less dangerous.  (Plus I already have all the materials.)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 03:21:35 pm »

Both are superb, IMO!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up