Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp  (Read 666 times)

[email protected]

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« on: November 16, 2021, 02:35:39 pm »

I owned a studio for 30 years and did a lot of my own printing, but I’ve been out of it for about 8 years now. Thinking of getting a printer to do some of my own fine art stuff and make prints for family/friends.

Thinking of getting a used Epson 800 as my printer. Have any of you had the printhead replaced? How much was it? Just the printhead is like $1000. Crazy.

Any other printer ideas? I’m thinking A2 is the right place to wade back in the waters.

Thanks,
Mike
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 02:52:40 pm »

Zero issues with my P800 (from the basically the day released) and no, you shouldn't have to (like other printers) replace the print heads. That isn't to say they cannot fail of course. This is a wonderful printer.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jeffreybehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 368
  • Happily retired accountant
Re: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:45:47 pm »

Had to look for the definition of 'A2'
https://www.yourspreadsheets.co.uk/metric-paper-sizes---a-paper-series.html

That c. 16.5X23.4" rectangul is approximately perfect for the P800* which I've had since November 2019 and LOVE.. It's reliable, never clogs...well, maybe twice in 3+ years...and produces prints on Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster and also Ink Jet Art Ceramic Luster which I buy in 25X17" sheets which Epson is too stupid to produce themselves.. This printer produces EXCELLENT results which I and my fotog friends gush about.

If you can determine that the used one you're considering does indeed produce spectacular--and I do NOT exaggerate--prints, I recommend you buy it.

* IMO what IS perfect is sheets cut 25x17" which allow you to print perfect 24x16" rectangles from your (or at least my) 3:2 sensor.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:30:00 pm by jeffreybehr »
Logged

dandeliondigital

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 263
    • http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Re: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 02:07:54 pm »

Hi all,
This thread got me curious about Epson 800, but my search yielded 4 different printers including "800" , Artisan,  Expression, and including one called "P800" and one called R800. So call me confused.

I am familiar with Epson using additional identifiers Stylus, Stylus Photo.

So exactly what printer are we talking about, so I can look it up on the Epson site.

Thanks, and so long for now, Tom
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 03:04:13 pm »

I think you want the P800. At least that's a "Pro" line, photo printer, with Advanced B&W and Epson Print Layout supports it.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jeffreybehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 368
  • Happily retired accountant
Re: Used Epson 800 as Printing On-ramp
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 04:31:02 pm »

Hi all,
This thread got me curious about Epson 800, but my search yielded 4 different printers including "800" , Artisan,  Expression, and including one called "P800" and one called R800. So call me confused.  I am familiar with Epson using additional identifiers Stylus, Stylus Photo.  So exactly what printer are we talking about, so I can look it up on the Epson site.  Thanks, and so long for now, Tom

SureColor P800.. It's been succeeded by the P900.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up