Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Media Configuration Tool Can't Find Printer...  (Read 712 times)

darinb

Canon Media Configuration Tool Can't Find Printer...
« on: November 12, 2021, 03:14:28 pm »

I'm getting ready to print for the first time since COVID and I switched over from an old iMac to a M1 Mac mini--so I need to set things up again.

I haven't set up my printer in a million years and I'm a newbie again--but I'm stuck trying to install the AM1 file for the Canon ipf8400. I have the file, I have the Media Configuration Tool but the tool doesn't see the printer. I've tried both wifi and a direct ethernet connection. Tried restarting and I've made sure the printer is awake when the Tool is searching for it.

Any ideas on how I can get the Tool to see the printer?

Any way to install the AM1 file manually?

Do I really need the AM1 file in the first place?

--Darin

raminolta

Re: Canon Media Configuration Tool Can't Find Printer...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 04:50:51 pm »

Recently, I had a similar problem under Windows. Canon has a utility app called IJ Network Device Setup Utility. The app was able to find the source of problem which was mismatching in the IP addresses of the printer and fixed it. I see the app isn't available under Mac. I think if you reset your router and let it first automatically assign IP addresses to the attached devices, it may fix the problem.

Or, on your router check the list of attached devices. You printer is should be there. You should find it by its MAC address. Then take the note of the assigned IP{ address and on your computer you need to make sure this MAC address and I{P address match what the program on your computer assumes.

Finally, this could be a Firewall problem. Still check the printer is present on the Router list of attached device.

darinb

Re: Canon Media Configuration Tool Can't Find Printer...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 06:05:22 pm »

Thanks raminolta.

I figured it out, after much time spent trying all manner of possibilities.

It turns out that the Media Configuration Tool I dowloaded last night from the Canon site was an old version of the software. I have no idea wy they have it up there, without any indication that I noted that it was old. It ran fine but just didn't see the printer. I discovered the problem and now all is fine, I hope.

Note, for anyone else coming across this thread, the old and/or wrong software will be in a folder called "Media Configuration Tool." The correct software will be in a folder called imagePROGRAF Media Configuration Tool."

As for the prints, the installation of the .am1 file resulted in greater DMax and a more neutral color tone, using Canson Edition Etching with a B&W print, in side-by-side comparisons of the same file...

Thanks,

--Darin
Pages: [1]   Go Up