Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon TC-80N3 verses RS-80n3  (Read 7201 times)

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
Canon TC-80N3 verses RS-80n3
« on: January 02, 2007, 08:08:16 pm »

Hi, I've got a quick question. I'm planning on getting a remote switch to use with my camera. There are two that I know of which are compatable with a Canon 1D Mark II. Those are the TC-80N3 and RS-80n3. The latter is simply a switch, where as the former has a bunch of great features. My question is if the TC-80n3 can be used just like the RS-80n3... Meaning, if I want to stand around and click the shutter instantaneously, could I do that with the TC-80n3? I'm asking because I definitely want that feature, but if I can get that and more for a little more money, the TC-80n3 seems like a better investment.

Also, are there alternatives to these switches that I don't know about which might offer better features (e.g. wireless?)?

Thanks in advance for your help. I always appreciate the input I get in this forum.

Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:55:01 pm »

Hi, I've got a quick question. I'm planning on getting a remote switch to use with my camera. There are two that I know of which are compatable with a Canon 1D Mark II. Those are the TC-80N3 and RS-80n3. The latter is simply a switch, where as the former has a bunch of great features. My question is if the TC-80n3 can be used just like the RS-80n3... Meaning, if I want to stand around and click the shutter instantaneously, could I do that with the TC-80n3? I'm asking because I definitely want that feature, but if I can get that and more for a little more money, the TC-80n3 seems like a better investment.

Also, are there alternatives to these switches that I don't know about which might offer better features (e.g. wireless?)?

Thanks in advance for your help. I always appreciate the input I get in this forum.

Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

Yes you can
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:46:12 am »

Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
RS is right, the TC-80n3 offers all the basic features of its cheaper brother. Wireless solutions are also available but generally much more expensive than cable releases. Visit websites such as B&H Photo to see what is commonly available.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 02:08:30 pm by francois »
Francois

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:56 pm »

I would only elaborate to say that yes, you can, and it doesn't require a battery. If your TC-80N3 battery dies the program functions no longer work, but it still functions just fine as a manual remote release. But I also find I rarely use mine - usually just using mirror lock up combined with 2 second self-timer. If you like the program functions, though, it can be made to work even with mirror lock up.

sposch

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:23:55 pm »

I picked up a cheapo release off EBay, the Adit M1 for my 5D. I think it was around C$14 delivered. Works fine for the ammount I use it. It has a lock position so you can use the Bulb setting for long exposures. The only thing I don't like is the connector doesn't lock into the canera body, I'm not sure if the Canon models do but on the other hand this may prevent damage if you trip on the cord. There is also a 1/8" socket on the remote so you can use an extension cord or another device to trip the shutter.

Steve.

macgyver

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:22 pm »

If you want to go wireless look for a product called "pocket wizards".  Costly, but high quality.

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 02:10:52 pm »

...The only thing I don't like is the connector doesn't lock into the canera body, I'm not sure if the Canon models do but on the other hand this may prevent damage if you trip on the cord....

Yes, the Canon connector locks... and yes, well enough to throw your camera to the ground!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 02:11:10 pm by francois »
Francois

rogerall

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 05:09:47 pm »

I just bought a "Dot Line" WIRELESS remote release from B&H, I use it with my Canon 5D and it works very well!  Only US$99.95. Cheaper than the TC-80N3. It doesn't have any TIMER functions but it is wireless (radio not IR) and much more convenient.

Don't be fooled by the photograph on the B&H website which shows the WRONG plug on the end of the connector, it DOES come with the correct plug.

Roger

rogerall

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:11:16 pm »

Coke

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:32:50 pm »

If you didn't read the shot review of the TC80-N3 from MR
you should habe a look at it here:

Canon TC80-N3

It can be used like a simple cable release as it has the same
push (and lockable) button like the RS80-N3. The Batteries
run for years so there is no need to take them out.

The only thing I miss is the functionality to time two consecutive
exposures every x seconds. This means one cannot use mirror
lockup and tell the thing to make an exposure every 5 minutes.
You'll have to tell it to make an exposure every 2,5 minutes so
the mirror goes up after 2,5 min until the actual exposure happens
after another 2,5 minutes. Needless to say that this isn't exactly
saving your batteries.

Did I mention that the build quality of the TC is great? It actually
feels like a tool and not a toy like the RS (its longer, and heavier).

If you get it you wont regret it
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:33:35 pm by Coke »
Pages: [1]   Go Up