Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New P9000 Printhead Maintenance (One time service)  (Read 1000 times)

robertDthomas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
    • Robert Thomas Photography
New P9000 Printhead Maintenance (One time service)
« on: November 02, 2021, 05:14:33 pm »

I have had my printer since August 2016 and have had few issues.  No service calls but looks like I have now a delaminated head. When I do a a nozzle check is shows warped or crooked vertical lines in the LK channel although no gaps in any of the channels. I did notice fair bit of banding when printing in PK papers but cleared after a couple of cleaning cycles.  I print mainly on MK papers so today I tried to switch to PK for a print and it went through a long head cleaning cycle when I tried to change to PK.  But it failed and said I had clogged heads and needed head cleaning.  I have tried three times and same result.  It does not switch to PK but stays with MK and a nozzle check looks good except for the waving verticals with LK section of the test.  Searching old posts it seems I have a delaminated head.  Not sure of the cost of replacement and other service that might be needed for a 5 yr old printer and wondering if its better to consider replacement.  If replacement I am considering the new Epson (not in stock at most places) or the Canon Pro-4100 which has the feature of replaceable heads.

Thoughts suggestions??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:24:27 pm by robertDthomas »
Logged

tastar

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 123
    • http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:11:16 pm »

https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/One-Time-Service-Plan---EPWPSP1R44/p/EPWPSP1R44Epson's One Time Service Plan

$1,395.00 - you should ask for a print head, damper assembly, wiper and capping station. At least a $2,500.00 repair without this program. It's a very good printer, and if has lasted over 5 years, the repair would be worth it.

Tony
Logged

robertDthomas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
    • Robert Thomas Photography
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:15 pm »

Thanks I had heard of this but thought it only applied an an extension to a printer under warrantee.  SO I will check it out and this seems a better solution than spending $4500 or so for a new printer.
Logged

JRSmit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 922
    • Jan R. Smit Fine Art Printing Specialist
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 01:30:35 pm »

Surecolr P9000 is best printer i have worked with, and still use.very reliable,. I print daily with 2 scp9000 now, started with scp8000 the moment it appeared on the Dutch market, since then a 7000 and a 9000, now 2 9000's
I print daily on average about 10m2


The extra cost for a 3 year warranty is well spent.
Logged
Fine art photography: janrsmit.com
Fine Art Printing Specialist: www.fineartprintingspecialist.nl


Jan R. Smit

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 02:22:14 pm »

Likewise with a 9900 printer. Got it second-hand more than a decade ago and last year had the head replaced. Prints better now then when I bought it and I didn't have to deal with having to dispose of the old printer and have a newer printer brought down the stairs, a major hassle. My printer guru basically told me to expect at least five years or longer on the new head which is fine with me.

Though the head replacement was expensive, it was worth it in the overall scheme of things and I'm glad I did it! A few print jobs easily paid the cost quickly.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 03:20:22 pm »

The 9900 was a great machine. Mine lasted 11 years. Replaced the head at 5 years and that head went another 6. Even though they had the one time service plan I elected to let it go after 11 years. Got more than my monies worth out of it.
Besides that I got another P8000 for about $3200. A really great buy for a 44" pigment printer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:55:56 pm by dgberg »
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

mcbroomf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1627
    • Mike Broomfield
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 04:04:09 pm »

I used the OTSP on my P8000 some time ago but I was not given the option to replace all the parts listed above.  The tech and Epson agreed the head needed replacing so that was 1st.  As it cured the problem that's all they did although many other parts were shipped with the head in case they were needed.

Mike
Logged

robertDthomas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
    • Robert Thomas Photography
Re: New P9000 Printhead or new printer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 08:26:06 pm »

Thanks to all who have replied.  Looks like head replacement (and whatever else may be provided) is a good investment.  I will call tomorrow and begging the process of the one time service program.  Hope it is not too drawn out in time testing and evaluation prior to fixing but we shall see and I will post the results.
Logged

robertDthomas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
    • Robert Thomas Photography

 :) I have to say that thanks to the OP's I called for the one time service for my P9000 which I have had trouble free since late 2016.  Recently I have had banding problems and through my posting and this site it was recommended that I probably had a delaminating head and should consider using the one time service plan.  Well I deferred for a bit but as I was not able to switch blacks from MK to BK for some print jobs I decided I would go ahead and take advantage with the service plan.  I did not expect super fast service but I must say I was quite pleased and surprised.  Once I made the inquiry for the program on the web I got a call back within a day and was able to describe my situation and provide some images of my nozzle check patterns which showed a distortion of the vertical lines in the LK section of the test.  Epson provided the option of time and materials and One Time service and that is what I selected.

I got a notification of parts sent via FedEx the next day and a call from the service person a Bob Brapeau from Decision One that contracts for service in the New England area of the US.  I received the parts via FedEx the following day and Bob showed up within hours.

He went though the replacement of the print head , the wiper and the capping station and described all his actions along the way.  I must say if you are fortunate to live within this region of the US and you need service  and if Bob is assigned you will be quite pleased as he not only performs the service but with his many years of Epson support he gives a lot of good guidance on how to take care of your printer.

I am very pleased with the support from Epson and look forward to many years of use with this and other printers from them in the future.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up