Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAc M1 vs 2020 model  (Read 783 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
IMAc M1 vs 2020 model
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »

Considering a new IMAC.  SHould I consider a new M1 version or stick with the older style 2020 model---PROS and CONS??

If going with Older style, which is better--maximizing the number of cores or maximizing the amount of RAM??

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: IMAc M1 vs 2020 model
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:25:54 am »

I would choose the new one - or better - wait a bit for the upcoming.
Apple is only interested in their own chips and those have the future, make your new computer last longer.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:56:38 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:46:53 pm »

I have had an M1 for about 4 months now and it is excellent. Don’t compare memory size with non M machines. I do not think so much is needed because of the way the SOC works.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 02:46:58 am »

What software do you currently use? What is your current editing station like? What type of files are you working with?

The M1 is nice, but the newer M1 Pro/Max chips are a much better platform.

If you max out an i7/i9 setup, they'll hold their value for a while for those who use older, non-optimized hardware.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 06:33:56 pm »

Everything said previously is probably correct, but as an alternative view, I have just ordered a new Intel Mac, i7, 8GB/1TB.
My reasons are that I have a lot of critical programmes that will never be upgraded, and therefore will always be Intel based.
These include my MYOB accounting programme and Apple Aperture, which is still my main photo storage.

So the Pros for Intel for me are:
4 USB ports (as they are all currently used), vs 2 on the M1.
Intel for Intel apps vs M1 with Rosetta for Intel apps which may die eventually.
27" screen vs 24" screen
5K monitor vs 4.5K monitor
Nano non reflection screen vs normal screen.
I can transfer a TimeMachine backup from my 2013 and everything should work. I can then sell my 2013.
Upgrade RAM easily and cheaply.

Cons
Intel so may be limited for future upgrades.
I need to upgrade Ram immediately
Doesn't come in pretty colours.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:34:12 am by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:37:13 pm »

I went through a similar set of concerns in summer of 2020. Apple silicon was just over the horizon then. I was unhappy with my 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan). The decision tree was whether to wait for an Apple silicon iMac (or MacPro) or just go with an Intel machine. After considerable back and forth, lots of reading, I decided to go all out with a tricked out Intel iMac which I've now had since August of 2020.

There's still no 27" or larger Apple Silicon iMac and I've been using my Intel machine for over a year and am pretty happy with it. FWIW I use an external NEC monitor for my photographic work. Were I in the same place today, I'd probably do one of two things, either await the Apple silicon 27' iMac (though there's no set time frame), or go with a 16" tricked out MacBook Pro with the M1Max chip, 64GB RAM, and as large an SSD as I can afford. Of course an external monitor would then be necessary as I'd not want to do "critical" work on any laptop screen.

Whether it's cameras or computers, or anything else with sophisticated technology, there's always something new (? better) down the road. Do you want to have something to actually use or would you rather endlessly fuss about what's to come? I don't earn my living with my computer or my photography, so I can go whatever way I'd like. You appear to have made a sound decision based upon YOUR needs, not marketing or endless speculation about what's coming.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 03:06:06 pm »

Still very glad with the Hackintosh route i took in 2018...
A simple windows box that has room for 8 disks and with the cpu etc i could choose..
Have a 4TB 7000mb/sec raid0 nvme in it that costed only 600€.
makes my work with layered 16 bit tifs a lot faster.
-
It is a pity Apple does not make such machines for reasonable prices.
Hopefully the upcoming Apple silicon MacPro machine is worth the money.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up