Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Macbook Pro M1x /M1max 2021 looks very promising  (Read 2515 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
New Macbook Pro M1x /M1max 2021 looks very promising
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:25:16 pm »

At last Apple has made a good MacbookPro that returns to one with - more ports, a mac safe connection a card reader, a good keyboard...

So far it is all back to the future, but then a processor with 10 cores, microled display, GPU with many cores, a harddisk that does 7000MB/sec... etc
They claim 2x faster than the 16 inch mac pro and a battery that let you work about 20 hours ...
Sounds like a MacPro in a laptop format. We will have to see, but it sounds very promising.
meanwhile the design has not changed so much... but was already fine.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:30:43 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: New Macbook Pro M1x /M1max 2021 looks very promising
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 07:28:34 pm »

. . . a processor with 10 cores, microled display, GPU with many cores, a harddisk that does 7000MB/sec . . .

The architecture, performance, and power consumption (and concomitant heat dissipation) of the new Apple microprocessors (CPU+GPU) are all quite impressive.

I was sorry not to see the introduction of a new Mac Mini today.  A Mini equipped with either of the new chips would no doubt run rings around my 2013 Mac Pro.

On the other hand, the next Apple product cycle reportedly may include not only a high-end Mac Mini, but one or possibly two Mac Pros—a large form-factor model designed for institutional video production, machine-learning, and scientific computing, as well as a small form-factor version that would be better suited to still and small-scale video photography—both of which, hopefully, would be field upgradeable at the major component level.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:41:13 am »

—both of which, hopefully, would be field upgradeable at the major component level.

Now that Apple has SOC, what sort of major upgrade would you want apart from a new chip?

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Chris Kern

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 07:22:26 am »

Now that Apple has SOC, what sort of major upgrade would you want apart from a new chip?

Yes, a next-generation microprocessor would probably be the most desirable field upgrade, one with more and/or faster cores and the ability to manage more primary memory—the current 64GB limit seems rather paltry, and probably limits the chip's utility for some applications (although not for still photography)—and, of course, the ability to increase the mass storage as larger solid-state drives become available and less expensive.  Another possibility might be additional or faster i/o channels.  Customer field replacement of failed components is also desirable: over the years, I've had to swap out the power supplies in a couple of the Linux PCs I use as servers on my home network.  The ability to crack the case and upgrade or replace parts would definitely be an attractive feature of any new Mac Pro models.  I wouldn't expect it to be offered on a product with a Mac Mini form-factor.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:36:33 am »

The machines look to be a big step forward but why not have user changeable RAM or other items that can be upgraded? Of course, they went back to the SD card reader and Mag-Safe so why HDMI rather than Mini-Display if space is an issue? They could have put an extra USB-C connection if they went with a smaller display connection, right? I will likey replace my Mid'15 MBP with a 14"MBP since I usually connect to an external display.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:31:04 pm »

The machines look to be a big step forward but why not have user changeable RAM or other items that can be upgraded?
I think they have bandwith for four thundebolt4ports- in this case they used one of these ports for the HDMI 2.0 ( max 4k 60fps) and cardreader.
an active converter cable to displayport costs about 30€ - i guess they choose hdmi for connecting projectors and TV screens
HDMI 2.1 is taking to much bandwith i presume.
The Ramchip in this machine is in close connection with the GPU and CPU and shared between them- you cannot upgrade the RAM for it is part of the whole.
This also means that the GPU can use a lot of ram. with a lot of ram you can make the machine very fast for GPU intensive tasks like AI.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jeff Kott

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 07:16:12 pm »

I've also asked this question on another thread.

I'm planning to order a new MacBook Pro. For basic photo processing with Capture one and Photoshop, do you think the M1Pro chip will suffice or should I go for the M1 Max? I would get 32 GBs or memory in either case.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:02:52 am »

I'm planning to order a new MacBook Pro. For basic photo processing with Capture one and Photoshop, do you think the M1Pro chip will suffice or should I go for the M1 Max? I would get 32 GBs or memory in either case.

I am sure they will, depends mostly on the software- how well is it working with this hardware?
I would wait for some reviews on that.  32 ram should be enough for all work except photos over 10 GB.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 05:35:44 am »

By the looks of it, the M1 Max 64GB RAM MacBook Pro is more powerful than my current desktop 10 core, 64GB iMac Pro.

Manoli

francois

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 09:10:02 am »

Francois

Chris Kern

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 06:14:51 pm »

For a more in-depth analysis of the new chips:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/17019/apple-announced-m1-pro-m1-max-giant-new-socs-with-allout-performance

My feeling—and the AnandTech analysis seems to validate it—is that Apple is trying to transform itself from a company whose ability to innovate is characterized primarily by industrial design and closely coupling hardware with software into one that emphasizes hardware engineering.

In many respects, at least in the laptop/desktop/tower space, Apple hardware really hasn't been that different from the hardware assembled by a PC "manufacturer."  For the most part, Apple has simply been integrating stock parts, some of which have minor Apple-specified supplier customizations, wrapping them in attractive shells, and selling them at price-points that often are higher than those charged by the PC assembly companies for boxen that perform comparably.

But Apple's current migration to very-large-scale CPU/GPU microprocessors, designed by Apple and manufactured in Taiwan, finally may elevate consumer computers to a level of hardware innovation that until now has only been available to institutional customers of big iron for multiuser computing and switches for Internet management.

I don't know how the market will respond to this, but it's a serious and interesting bet.  And I think it is worth noting that without TSMC to produce the new high-density Apple chips, the strategy would have been much more difficult and possibly impossible at this time to implement.  From what I've been reading, many manufacturers seem lately to be rethinking the benefits of economic globalization; the Apple strategy may offer an argument for forging ahead.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:06:34 pm by Chris Kern »

deanwork

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 06:58:21 pm »

Apple moving to in-house chip making is one of the smartest things they have ever done. But they better put some of this capability in Austin or the West Coast . Because like Hong Kong , Taiwan is vulnerable and they know it.

My feeling—and the AnandTech analysis seems to validate it—is that Apple is trying to transform itself from a company whose ability to innovate is characterized primarily by industrial design and closely coupling hardware with software into one that emphasizes hardware engineering.

In many respects, at least in the laptop/desktop/tower space, Apple hardware really hasn't been that different from the hardware assembled by a PC "manufacturer."  For the most part, Apple has simply been integrating stock parts, some of which have minor Apple-specified supplier customizations, wrapping them in attractive shells, and selling them at price-points that often are higher than those charged by the PC assembly companies for boxen that perform comparably.

But Apple's current migration to very-large-scale CPU/GPU microprocessors, designed by Apple and manufactured in Taiwan, finally may elevate consumer computers to a level of hardware innovation that until now has only been available to institutional customers of big iron for multiuser computing and switches for Internet management.

I don't know how the market will respond to this, but it's a serious and interesting bet.  And I think it is worth noting that without TMSC to produce the new high-density Apple chips, the strategy would have been much more difficult and possibly impossible at this time to implement.  From what I've been reading, many manufacturers seem lately to be rethinking the benefits of economic globalization; the Apple strategy may offer an argument for forging ahead.

Chris Kern

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 07:17:34 pm »

Apple moving to in-house chip making is one of the smartest things they have ever done. But they better put some of this capability in Austin or the West Coast .

Actually, that may not be feasible—at least, not at the moment, as far as I can tell.  I'm not aware there currently is a good option for producing the same scale of dense component integration in North America or Europe.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 05:35:49 am »

Actually, that may not be feasible—at least, not at the moment, as far as I can tell.  I'm not aware there currently is a good option for producing the same scale of dense component integration in North America or Europe.
I have heard the CEO of ASML talking about that; He said it will take years to get to the Taiwan level. ( also Europe asked that question) . It is not easy to copy. There is a chain of manufacturers and knowledge involved.
ASML produces the (ultraviolet ray) machines to print the 5nm chips.
Intel for one cannot get the process to work while they have the same machines...
That puts a perspective on why China is even more eager to 'unite ' Taiwan. Samsung is the second closest to make these chips.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BAB

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 08:23:12 am »

Manufacturing woes and the lack of rare earth metals makes sense of crippling the chip manufacturing pipeline in China. China needs to secure the surrounding countries to protect themself’s from invasion, they need to control Tibet, but if China would play nice in the sandbox all of this could of been avoided. Greed of few!

I took Apple’s offer and traded in my 2019 MacBook Pro 16” w/ 4tb (only ever used 1.6tb, I run external’s for all files) 64gb for the new max 16” 2tb. 64gb, they gave me 2200 trade-in against 5k. So it cost me about 100.00 a month using the machine 5-6 days a week it works out to about .70 per hour!

Just praying it works with all my software and I don’t have issues dealing with the Epson P8000!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

julianv

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 04:22:35 pm »

Austin Mann posted a review of the new Macbook Pro M1 Max, targeting the concerns of photographers. Worth a read, if you are considering one of these machines.

Note, in particular, the new Displays panel in System Preferences. It now provides presets for various use cases: Photography (p3-D65), HDTV Video (BT.709-BT.1886), HDR Video (P3-ST 2084), Internet & Web (sRGB), and several more. In some of these modes, the brightness levels are fixed and non-adjustable - presumably set to a factory calibrated state. It will be interesting to see how these settings stack up to independent measurements, and how they hold up in time. Can we toss our calibration pucks?

Jeff Kott

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:34 pm »

Here's a comparison of the "base" 16 inch MacBook Pro to a "fully-loaded" version. This shows real world use as well as benchmark comparisons.

Based on this, I'm going with the Pro chip in my 16 inch MacBook Pro. I'm getting 32 GBs RAM, although it appears that 16 would be plenty.

https://youtu.be/q8F3K7se2ww

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 08:17:19 am »

I ordered the MacBook Pro 14” with 64GB RAM and M1ProMax processor to replace my aging iMacPro. Apple gave me $1,900 to trade in my iMacPro.

I use an LG 27” 5k monitor as a second screen with my iMacPro. This is a nice monitor but since I’m losing the iMacPro monitor, I just took delivery of a new Eizo CS2740, 27” 4K, monitor to use as my main editing screen.

Since I will be using two 27” monitors, I opted for the 14” MBP since is the same internals as the 16” but more compact.

My new MacBook Pro is scheduled to arrive on 11/8. So exciting.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Jeff Kott

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 02:58:38 pm »

Here’s one more thought provoking comparison - 16 inch with 16 GB RAM vs. 32GB RAM. I could never have as many applications and tabs open as this guy does where he shows no meaningful difference in performance between the two.

I cancelled my first order for a 16 inch with a Max chip and placed an order for a 16 inch, Pro chip, 32 GBs RAM and 1 TB hard drive.

Now, I’m considering cancelling my order for the unit with the 32 GBs RAM and order a 16 inch, Pro Chip, 16 GBs RAM and go the the 2 TB hard drive instead.

Here’s the link:

https://youtu.be/gqiYSt4nAFs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up