Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apeture DNG Image Size  (Read 8183 times)

trigeek

Apeture DNG Image Size
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:36:55 pm »

Hello,
I just started using Apeture and have found that when I view a DNG image I cannot make it bigger than 2"x2" (approx). When I view a CR2 image, it is a big as the viewer windw. When I look at the image data, Apeture lists CR2's as 3504x2332 pixels, DNG's as 256x171. Seems to only pick up the thumbnail as the image in DNG. Bridge does not have thi problem... shows all images in correct size. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Apeture DNG Image Size
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:09:08 pm »

Hello,
I just started using Apeture and have found that when I view a DNG image I cannot make it bigger than 2"x2" (approx). When I view a CR2 image, it is a big as the viewer windw. When I look at the image data, Apeture lists CR2's as 3504x2332 pixels, DNG's as 256x171. Seems to only pick up the thumbnail as the image in DNG. Bridge does not have thi problem... shows all images in correct size. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It sounds to me like the DNG you're using isn't compatible with Aperture.  Have a read of Aperture's DNG requirements... there are a couple requirements:

1)  The DNG is generated from a camera file format that Aperture already supports (e.g. Canon 1D mark II or 20D)

2)  The conversion is specifically either linear (or not linear) -- there's a checkbox and you have to do the conversion one of these ways.  I'll give you an RTFM here because I haven't done it -- I sorta think DNG is a waste as I don't want the extra step in my workflow.

What you're seeing is the JPEG thumbnail FWIW.

trigeek

Apeture DNG Image Size
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:14:51 pm »

It sounds to me like the DNG you're using isn't compatible with Aperture.  Have a read of Aperture's DNG requirements... there are a couple requirements:

1)  The DNG is generated from a camera file format that Aperture already supports (e.g. Canon 1D mark II or 20D)

2)  The conversion is specifically either linear (or not linear) -- there's a checkbox and you have to do the conversion one of these ways.  I'll give you an RTFM here because I haven't done it -- I sorta think DNG is a waste as I don't want the extra step in my workflow.

What you're seeing is the JPEG thumbnail FWIW.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi and thanks. The images are from a Canon 5D, so it is supported by DNG, and the conversion method was set to "Preserve Raw Image", not linear. I believe this is the correct setting.
Best regards,
Jim

jliechty

Apeture DNG Image Size
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:33:59 am »

Hi and thanks. The images are from a Canon 5D, so it is supported by DNG, and the conversion method was set to "Preserve Raw Image", not linear. I believe this is the correct setting.
That is indeed the correct setting. I have experienced the same problem; D200 NEFs converted to DNGs with those settings on my Windows system were shown as small thumbnails when imported into Aperture on the Powerbook G4. The only "solution" that I found was to run the DNGs through the DNG converter again, but this time in Mac OS X instead of in Windows. It seems redundant, but somehow the resulting second-generation DNGs were recognized by Aperture.

However, this is a pain in the [insert notable body part], and Aperture also fails to import previously added IPTC information in DNG files (of which I have much), so in its current state it's useless to me.

trigeek

Apeture DNG Image Size
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:30:02 am »

That is indeed the correct setting. I have experienced the same problem; D200 NEFs converted to DNGs with those settings on my Windows system were shown as small thumbnails when imported into Aperture on the Powerbook G4. The only "solution" that I found was to run the DNGs through the DNG converter again, but this time in Mac OS X instead of in Windows. It seems redundant, but somehow the resulting second-generation DNGs were recognized by Aperture.

However, this is a pain in the [insert notable body part], and Aperture also fails to import previously added IPTC information in DNG files (of which I have much), so in its current state it's useless to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you, I will give this a try this evening... By the way, my initial conversions were made in the Windows version of DNG and then moved over to my Mac. May well be the same issue you had.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:30:27 am by trigeek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up