Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G550/650, profiling and Mac Airprint experiments  (Read 388 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Canon G550/650, profiling and Mac Airprint experiments
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:31:16 am »

I'm having a look at what is a much smaller printer than I normally cover, with a Canon G550 here  (A4 6 colour dye - 650 has scanner as well).

It does however have no Mac drivers, relying on the dreaded 'AirPrint' to connect... The Win version does have profiles and colour management you can turn off to profile. No such luck with the Mac settings.

So, printing a colour target from the ColorSync Utility (10.13 on my Macbook so normal target printing still works) gets a reasonable looking target which I can pop through i1Profiler to get a profile... (1005 patches on A4 measured with an iSis)

This profile gives better looking prints that the default settings with a Canon paper such as LU-100 (lustre)

So far, these 'profiles' give better results on all papers I've tried...
We are a Mac only household, so I can't test if the profiles work on a PC...

Any suggestions for experiments to see what is going on when trying to profile via airprint?

The profiles, whatever they are based on, give better results on all papers I've tested, so do have a potential use.

In terms of performance, the 'Photo paper (other)' media setting seems to give the biggest gamut, but the 'driver' does have a good range of media types

Notes
- These are only tests/experiments to see how the printer performs - it's Canon's printer, not mine ;-)
- I'm not looking to use it 'for real' this is to see how it works and if the default options can be improved.
- All our (oldish) Macs run 10.14 or 10.13  - they will stay that way until paying work picks up :-(
- If anyone wants a measurement file to look at (or profile with cxf data) email me at Northlight?

Pages: [1]   Go Up