Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration problems NEC PA241w  (Read 1093 times)

orminator

Monitor Calibration problems NEC PA241w
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:39:07 pm »

Getting back to printing after a long hiatus.
Have updated firmware and have latest version SpectraView II.
However when SpectraView attempts to calibrate the monitor it fails announcing "an error occurred adjusting the white point".
Multiple reboots and have tried with both my NEC and iI (eye-one) calibration units - it always fails.
Monitor has only 15,000 hours and otherwise in excellent shape but the monitor is seriously uncalibrated at 2600K and 128 CD.
Running latest Windows 10 and editing in Lightroom CC.
Have wasted so many hours trying to remedy: if it’s a problem of "ten year old hardware no longer supported" I am wondering if there is a way of calibrating this monitor without resorting to the apparently no longer functioning SpectraView.
Any help greatly appreciated

Lessbones

Re: Monitor Calibration problems NEC PA241w
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 12:59:44 am »

it's an old monitor with a lot of hours on it, and most importantly, it has a CCFL backlight.  Unfortunately, to put it bluntly, it's dead.

You could try calibrating to 80cd or something like that, but fluorescent backlights just don't last very long before they go yellow unfortunately.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:10 am »

it's an old monitor with a lot of hours on it, and most importantly, it has a CCFL backlight.  Unfortunately, to put it bluntly, it's dead.

You could try calibrating to 80cd or something like that, but fluorescent backlights just don't last very long before they go yellow unfortunately.

just bought a Eizo CG 303w ( 2560x1600px - i like that format best)
It is from late 2010 and has 18.000 hrs on it and works perfectly... and calibrates fine within 2deltaE max 0,7 average
it replaces my heavy used Dell - same size- from 2008- that started to be instable...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Lessbones

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:53:29 am »

it really depends more on your brightness target than anything, but once a CCFL goes, there's nothing you can do but replace it.

18,000 hours is about two straight years of 24hr operation-- i'd imagine most people have had to replace fluorescent lightbulbs when dealing with a similar timeframe.

One thing to try is: leave the monitor on for 30 mins to warm up, set Display Cal to 6500k (or whatever your desired white point) then start the calibration to get to the pre-calibration routine where you dial in the white point using the manual monitor controls.  Set the brightness all the way up, then adjust the RGB gains until you hit the target.  You're probably gonna end up with something like 100% blue, and you're gonna have to keep going down down down on the other two until the monitor becomes pretty dim.  If you can then actually hit the target, make a note of the brightness level-- that's your monitor's new maximum output.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:22:35 pm »

Getting back to printing after a long hiatus.
Have updated firmware and have latest version SpectraView II.
However when SpectraView attempts to calibrate the monitor it fails announcing "an error occurred adjusting the white point".
Multiple reboots and have tried with both my NEC and iI (eye-one) calibration units - it always fails.
Monitor has only 15,000 hours and otherwise in excellent shape but the monitor is seriously uncalibrated at 2600K and 128 CD.
Running latest Windows 10 and editing in Lightroom CC.
Have wasted so many hours trying to remedy: if it’s a problem of "ten year old hardware no longer supported" I am wondering if there is a way of calibrating this monitor without resorting to the apparently no longer functioning SpectraView.
Any help greatly appreciated

- make factory reset of the display in osd menu
- connect the display to usb and connect i1 display pro to the monitor
- if the puck is i1display 2 (the oval one) it may be worn. i1 Display Pro (i1D3) is virtually immortal
- calibrate monitor white to desired x,y coordinates and brightness using SVII ctrl+l and osd menu or Multiprofiler. If you can’t acheive it that way the display is burnt (which is unlikely after only 15kh)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 05:47:44 am »

- if the puck is i1display 2 (the oval one) it may be worn. ...

+1
mine lasted only 2 years...( i use a colormunki now )
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

orminator

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 11:21:44 am »

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES LESSBONES, KERS and CZORNYJ
Found it impossible to get into the main menu because of OSD lockout and the manual's info on how to bypass it was  not helpful.
I live in Canada and had previously tried searching for help from NEC website but must have been on the wrong site as I could not find any meaningful support. Yesterday I happenned on the correct website (https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/contact-support) and spent 30 minutes with a very helpful service person - yes helping me with a 10 year old display!.  We were unable to perform conventional calibration as Spectraview still could not adjust the white point even after modifying some target parameters. We accessed the main menu (have to hold down the buttons for much longer than manual suggests to escape OSD lockout) and resorted to doing "self color correction"  and then attempted calibration again with SpectraView II.
Short story is that the display needs to be replaced for color-critical applications. Given the support experience with NEC the replacement will likely be another NEC.
Thanks again for your replies

Lessbones

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 03:14:45 pm »

I believe that basiccolor display should still be able to drive that monitor on a newer OS if you wanted to try that out (with hardware calibration support) but yeah, it sounds like you've tried enough things to determine that the backlight is pretty toasted.

I've also had pretty good experiences with NEC support.  I'm not a huge fan of the PA271q due to the pfs phosphor backlight (I've used 5 of these monitors, and they all feel to be pushing magenta to me, no matter what the calibration target is-- there's a really sharp spike in the red part of the spectrum) but others on this forum seem to like it very much.  Eizo CG277 is my current favorite, but they're generally about $1K more than the 27" NECs.  Chomping at the bit for some OLEDs to become more commonplace over here...  But that's then gonna be a whole other color management issue WRT contrast and soft-proofing for print...
Pages: [1]   Go Up