Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: roll paper : increasing the outer core size to minimise curl  (Read 355 times)

alain

roll paper : increasing the outer core size to minimise curl
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:05:50 am »

Hi

I print some Hahnemülle Photo Gloss Baryta.  When getting to the end of the roll the curl get worse and worse, up to being problematic.
I have the idea to make a core which has the same internal dn as the normal one, but consist of 2 tubes.  That way the outer dn could go from 82mm to 110mm. 
I would start printing from the normal core and after some meters rewind the paper on the thicker core. 

Any remarks if that would work or give other problems?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: roll paper : increasing the outer core size to minimise curl
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 08:56:08 am »

When I print Hahnemuhle's FAB it gets a nasty curl at the end. I usually take it off the roll cut to length on my Rotatrim then run it through my Decurler.
A real pain but if I don't I am usually ruining that last 10 or 12 sq. ft. in one way or another.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:57 am »

Hi

I print some Hahnemülle Photo Gloss Baryta.  When getting to the end of the roll the curl get worse and worse, up to being problematic.
I have the idea to make a core which has the same internal dn as the normal one, but consist of 2 tubes.  That way the outer dn could go from 82mm to 110mm. 
I would start printing from the normal core and after some meters rewind the paper on the thicker core. 

Any remarks if that would work or give other problems?

Roll the last quart of a roll on the next new roll of the same paper.  First add a cheap in between paper layer on that new roll, taped tight.  I used to do that with 30-35 meter rolls on 2" cores with similar problems. With 3" core matte art papers it usually is easier to get near the end and decurl the remaining one meter or so before printing it as a sheet. I hardly use Baryta type papers where it all will be more difficult.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

alain

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 12:16:26 pm »

Roll the last quart of a roll on the next new roll of the same paper.  First add a cheap in between paper layer on that new roll, taped tight.  I used to do that with 30-35 meter rolls on 2" cores with similar problems. With 3" core matte art papers it usually is easier to get near the end and decurl the remaining one meter or so before printing it as a sheet. I hardly use Baryta type papers where it all will be more difficult.

Nice suggestion and nice technique, it also gives me the idea that my "solution" would work also.  I prefer a different roll, because I fear that the Baryta takes a least a couple of days to settle.

As I have read that my printer can take roll's up to 150mm diameter, I even think to a larger size roll.  125mm is a standard PVC size (with cheap paper around it off course).
Pages: [1]   Go Up