Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What have Topaz done DeNoise AI v3.3.2?  (Read 945 times)

Mike Dale

What have Topaz done DeNoise AI v3.3.2?
« on: October 03, 2021, 11:15:01 am »

My workflow is to make edits in Capture One and then Edit With DeNoise. I open a New Variant  i.e. Filename.tif, this opens in DeNoise I select the options and then Save. The file is processed and the return tif file is updated in Capture One. Not any more. The Save is now  Save As. It also changes the filename to append  the Denoise Option to the filename, even if you remove it. I have to import this Denoised file into C1 to do any further edits.

They've screwed up the Masking feature. I typically take bird images and I want to remove noise from the background and not the bird. I mask the bird and then invert the mask to apply the edits to just the background. The Edge Aware option has disappeared making masking more difficult. If you change the view the mask is cleared.

Thanks for nothing Topaz.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:01:16 pm by Mike Dale »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: What have Topaz done DeNoise AI v3.3.2?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 05:00:50 pm »

They've screwed up the Masking feature. I typically take bird images and I want to remove noise from the background and not the bird. I mask the bird and then invert the mask to apply the edits to just the background. The Edge Aware option has disappeared making masking more difficult. If you change the view the mask is cleared.

Thanks for nothing Topaz.

I can't answer your question but I have one for you. Why denoise the background and not the bird?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 12:49:41 am »

Yes, there are a few issues with the latest release. The issue with "edge aware" is reported in the changelog:

Temporarily removed Edge Aware in masking due to crashes

It seems to me that when you move the view the mask is still there, but the overlay is no longer shown (almost as bad)

The issue with C1 is that there is no a plugin version of Denoise for it, so you have to open it as a standalone application, and yes, they have removed the option to overwrite the original file. The plugin (available for PS and LR) will allow you to "Apply" the changes to the original image.
Anyway I agree that it was a bad idea to remove the "save" option.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 06:59:30 am »

... Why denoise the background and not the bird?

Background noise is more visible and more distracting, as the background is often a plain, blue sky or rather blurred. Why not the bird? Because there is plenty of fine detail there that noise reduction might soften. Actually, adding a bit of noise to high-detail areas might even make them appear sharper.

Mike Dale

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:04:44 am »

I can't answer your question but I have one for you. Why denoise the background and not the bird?

Noise is usually not obvious on a birds feathers but can be quite distracting on plain OOF backgrounds. Noise reduction also tends to reduce sharpness which you want to preserve on the bird.

Using sharpening tools I mask the bird to sharpen the feathers but not the background.

Mike Dale

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 07:22:46 am »

Yes, there are a few issues with the latest release.

They certainly managed to screw up my workflow.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 10:29:44 am »

Background noise is more visible and more distracting, as the background is often a plain, blue sky or rather blurred. Why not the bird? Because there is plenty of fine detail there that noise reduction might soften. Actually, adding a bit of noise to high-detail areas might even make them appear sharper.

Hmm, I'll have to try this. I have always processed the whole photo with Denoise as I really like its sharpening algorithm for bird feathers. And when the detail is smaller than the noise...!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 02:51:57 pm »

... Actually, adding a bit of noise to high-detail areas might even make them appear sharper.

An example is bellow. The link from the Cambridge in Color: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sharpness.htm

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 02:58:18 pm »

They certainly managed to screw up my workflow.

You can always reinstall a previous version of the software from the Topaz labs website, at least until they fix the mask issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up