Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrite CC Display Plus with iMac 27” 2020 and DisplayCAL  (Read 1699 times)

erik.brammer@me.com

Calibrite CC Display Plus with iMac 27” 2020 and DisplayCAL
« on: October 01, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »

Hi all,

In the thread concerning Calibrite now distributing the “consumer” solutions from xrite I wrote about my initial experience with the Calibrite Color Checker Display Plus (basically i1 Display Pro Plus) and in particular the ccProfiler software user interface which has quite a few bugs.

If I want to use DisplayCAL to drive that measurement device on my iMac 27” 2020, I understand from the DisplayCAL documentation that I should use a .cc’s correction files for the display. Going to the colorimeter corrections database and selecting Apple and then iMac 20,1 the database suggests a .ccmx correction file:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccmx&manufacturer_id=APP&display=iMac20%2C1&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display&html=1

Since this not only contains the generic corrections for the iMac display but a correction for the concrete combination of the i1 Display Pro and the iMac display, can I assume that it should work just a s well?

Also, does anyone here have experience with my device combination and ccProfiler in comparison with DisplayCAL?

Best regards,
Erik

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Calibrite CC Display Plus with iMac 27” 2020 and DisplayCAL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 12:33:13 pm »

Hi all,

In the thread concerning Calibrite now distributing the “consumer” solutions from xrite I wrote about my initial experience with the Calibrite Color Checker Display Plus (basically i1 Display Pro Plus) and in particular the ccProfiler software user interface which has quite a few bugs.

If I want to use DisplayCAL to drive that measurement device on my iMac 27” 2020, I understand from the DisplayCAL documentation that I should use a .cc’s correction files for the display. Going to the colorimeter corrections database and selecting Apple and then iMac 20,1 the database suggests a .ccmx correction file:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccmx&manufacturer_id=APP&display=iMac20%2C1&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display&html=1

Since this not only contains the generic corrections for the iMac display but a correction for the concrete combination of the i1 Display Pro and the iMac display, can I assume that it should work just a s well?

Also, does anyone here have experience with my device combination and ccProfiler in comparison with DisplayCAL?

Best regards,
Erik

There’s generic W-LED PFS .ccmx characterisation that gives best results with most modern PFS panels
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 02:15:31 pm »

Thanks, Marcin, I will give it a try, or accept the bugs in the ccProfiler user interface.  :)

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 06:00:42 pm »

Hello Marcin,

Sorry to bother you again but after some more reading and after more usage of ccProfiler, I would now like to switch to using DisplayCal with the Calibrite Color Checker Display Plus. Coming back to your comment below where do I find that generic W-LED PFS .ccmx characterization file? Using the Colorimeter Corrections Database on displaycal.net asks me to select my display vendor, then display model and finally my colorimeter hardware, so I couldn’t find a way to get to that generic one.

Thanks,
Erik

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 01:13:27 am »

Ok, reading one more thread at

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/got-a-monitor-thats-w-led-but/

Florian Höch writes:
“ WLED alone is not enough information. There’s two common types of WLED: WLED with yellow phosphor (the most common case, roughly Rec. 709 gamut) and WLED with PFS phosphors (roughly DCI P3 gamut, the “Panasonic VVX…” falls into that category). And then there’s a third possibility, also with PFS phosphors, but roughly AdobeRGB gamut. All of these are included with DisplayCAL (if you choose the installer). Select the one that’s appropriate for your display.”

So it should be included with the standard installation package.

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 03:15:03 am »

Yep, found it. Thanks again for the advice, Marcin.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 06:57:29 am »

Yep, found it. Thanks again for the advice, Marcin.
Just to be sure:
- go to i1D3 Calibrations folder with .edr spectral calibrations (see attached screenshot)
- copy Panasonic VVX17P051J00.edr name and delete or move the file out of Calibrations folder (it sucks anyway)
- put PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.edr file into Calibrations folder and change its name to Panasonic VVX17P051J00.edr
here's the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u52zxk91v327b4/PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.edr?dl=0
- calibrate the Macbook/iMac choosing PFS W-LED, it will now use corrected PFS characterisation

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:10:14 am »

Hi Marcin,

thanks a lot for this additional very relevant information. I followed the steps you described, and in DisplayCAL in the correction drop-down, I find the entries I can select from as per the screen shot attached. Is this one highlighted, referencing the VVX17P051J00 the correct entry? Or should I choose the one above called "Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family"? I think it should be the first one, as the Calibrations folder also contains a corrections file called "WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr" which I would think represents the second one I mention here.

Just to be on the safe side...

Cheers,
Erik

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:04 am »

Hi Marcin,

thanks a lot for this additional very relevant information. I followed the steps you described, and in DisplayCAL in the correction drop-down, I find the entries I can select from as per the screen shot attached. Is this one highlighted, referencing the VVX17P051J00 the correct entry? Or should I choose the one above called "Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family"? I think it should be the first one, as the Calibrations folder also contains a corrections file called "WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr" which I would think represents the second one I mention here.

Just to be on the safe side...

Cheers,
Erik

Yes, in DisplayCAL you just use PFS Phosphor WLED family, it's already there.

In case you would like to use i1Profiler / ccProfiler instead of DisplayCAL you should switch Panasonic VVX17P051J00.edr to PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.edr and change it's name, like I described above.

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:51:52 am »

Thank you, Marcin, all questions answered now.

Cheers,
Erik
Pages: [1]   Go Up