Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-4000 Dead after 2 years and 3 1/2 months of service  (Read 1552 times)

Roscolo

Canon Pro-4000 Dead after 2 years and 3 1/2 months of service
« on: October 01, 2021, 01:08:43 am »

I posted here in August about an error message on my Pro-4000. I won't go into too much detail. Long story short, the error message called for a replacement of the main board. I called Canon tech support. Tech support was disinterested to say the least. Tech support referred me to an authorized repair shop. Contacted the shop and while awaiting the arrival of the new main board, printer gave an error message that also called for replacement of the PSU. The authorized repair shop at this point advised against making the repair, and to replace the machine.

I ordered a new Pro-4100 because so much of my work in artwork repro has been done on Canon's, and until this Pro-4000 unit, they have been reliable. I have an 8400 still going for at least 4-5 years now.

I spoke once again with Canon tech about the failed Pro-4000, and he said that "there's lots of sensitive parts in there, and sometimes they fail." And that is true. But complete failure after 2 years and 3 1/2 months is not a good sign. Maybe I just got a lemon. No offer from Canon of any help or assistance of any sort, or anything towards a replacement unit.

I'm not telling you what to buy or not to buy. I'm sticking with Canon FOR NOW because so much of my company's art repro work is set up and dialed in on Canons inkset and we run / have run Canons for years now. This entire experience runs contrary to what I experienced from Canon in the past. Maybe Canon is falling on hard times. I don't know. Anyway, I share here so folks in the biz will know and can use this information if you are considering a new printer purchase.

deanwork

Re: Canon Pro-4000 Dead after 2 years and 3 1/2 months of service
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 12:23:11 pm »

I’ve owned a lot of these different brands over the years. They all have their issues unfortunately.

But I always found my Canon the best by far in regard to durability and totally hassle free dependability. But the one thing is the electronics are very sensitive to is lightening strike surges ( different from regular power surges when the power comes back on ) . I finally learned to completely unplug my printers during thunder storms and when out of town. Otherwise the Canon needs to be plugged in at all times.

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 05:23:39 pm »

I’ve owned a lot of these different brands over the years. They all have their issues unfortunately.

But I always found my Canon the best by far in regard to durability and totally hassle free dependability. But the one thing is the electronics are very sensitive to is lightening strike surges ( different from regular power surges when the power comes back on ) . I finally learned to completely unplug my printers during thunder storms and when out of town. Otherwise the Canon needs to be plugged in at all times.

Same experience here. My printers (and servers, workstations, etc.) are always plugged into Pure Sine Battery backups / surge protectors, and are always completely disconnected from the grid during any hint of severe weather. I remember a Canon tech telling me the mainboards in the 8300's were suspect. So much so that he said the only significant change from the 8300 to the 8400 was a new mainboard. Looks like that may be similar to the Pro-4000 to the Pro-4100. I hope so. I'm generally happy if I get 4 years out of a machine. 2 years is just not enough. It's not the failure that got me. Stuff happens. It was the nonchalant "c'est la vie" cast off I got from Canon tech support. Made quite the impression considering the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent over the last 10+ years. Let's just say I will remember that phone call for a long, long time.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 07:42:06 pm »

That’s unfortunate to hear but I heard it from others too. In the past for many years I always got amazing support from Canon. My 8300 lasted 8 years of using pretty much everyday. Never head strikes, clogs or any strange software issues and glitch’s like I got from the HPs. It was amazing. But parts and service became unavailable. And the inks will soon be discontinued.

John

Same experience here. My printers (and servers, workstations, etc.) are always plugged into Pure Sine Battery backups / surge protectors, and are always completely disconnected from the grid during any hint of severe weather. I remember a Canon tech telling me the mainboards in the 8300's were suspect. So much so that he said the only significant change from the 8300 to the 8400 was a new mainboard. Looks like that may be similar to the Pro-4000 to the Pro-4100. I hope so. I'm generally happy if I get 4 years out of a machine. 2 years is just not enough. It's not the failure that got me. Stuff happens. It was the nonchalant "c'est la vie" cast off I got from Canon tech support. Made quite the impression considering the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent over the last 10+ years. Let's just say I will remember that phone call for a long, long time.

RajneshDomalpalli

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 12:27:22 am »

...And the inks will soon be discontinued.

Hi Dean,
    Do you mean that the next Canon Pro will have new inks?
Regards,
Rajnesh
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards,
Rajnesh

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 11:05:40 am »

Well the one they are coming out with now the GP 4000 is an 11 ink pigment printer designed for the graphics market . They aren’t even mentioning photo quality, longevity or anything like that. The feature is expanded gamut including a “fluorescent pink”. Whatever. It’s possible they will unveil a new photo printer later, but since the 4100 is not very old I doubt it.

Watch the video.  https://www.canon-europe.com/business-printers-and-faxes/imageprograf-gp-2000/

John

Hi Dean,
    Do you mean that the next Canon Pro will have new inks?
Regards,
Rajnesh

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 04:06:39 pm »

I posted here in August about an error message on my Pro-4000. I won't go into too much detail. Long story short, the error message called for a replacement of the main board. I called Canon tech support. Tech support was disinterested to say the least. Tech support referred me to an authorized repair shop. Contacted the shop and while awaiting the arrival of the new main board, printer gave an error message that also called for replacement of the PSU. The authorized repair shop at this point advised against making the repair, and to replace the machine.

I ordered a new Pro-4100 because so much of my work in artwork repro has been done on Canon's, and until this Pro-4000 unit, they have been reliable. I have an 8400 still going for at least 4-5 years now.

I spoke once again with Canon tech about the failed Pro-4000, and he said that "there's lots of sensitive parts in there, and sometimes they fail." And that is true. But complete failure after 2 years and 3 1/2 months is not a good sign. Maybe I just got a lemon. No offer from Canon of any help or assistance of any sort, or anything towards a replacement unit.

I'm not telling you what to buy or not to buy. I'm sticking with Canon FOR NOW because so much of my company's art repro work is set up and dialed in on Canons inkset and we run / have run Canons for years now. This entire experience runs contrary to what I experienced from Canon in the past. Maybe Canon is falling on hard times. I don't know. Anyway, I share here so folks in the biz will know and can use this information if you are considering a new printer purchase.

This company had fixed motherboard of my former iPF8300 as well as many iPFx300 motherboards of my friends and clients for a very reasonable price. Never heard of PRO series motherboard failure before, but they should fix it as well:

https://mc-nova.eu/
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 02:22:55 am »

Well the one they are coming out with now the GP 4000 is an 11 ink pigment printer designed for the graphics market . They aren’t even mentioning photo quality, longevity or anything like that. The feature is expanded gamut including a “fluorescent pink”. Whatever. It’s possible they will unveil a new photo printer later, but since the 4100 is not very old I doubt it.

Watch the video.  https://www.canon-europe.com/business-printers-and-faxes/imageprograf-gp-2000/

John

You're right. GP-2000/GP-4000 is another product line for hi-end poster, not photo/fine art. The GP series is in the "Graphic Arts & Signage" category, and there is no "Luxury red line" on the front cover. It's something like P7000/P9000 commercial edition, but much more radical.

According to last generation printers, Canon might introduce PRO 2300/4300/6300 in the future. Base on product life, it will be in Sep. 2022. Considering the COVID, releasing in Mar 2023 is more practical. But I doubt there will be a major change in next models. Buying PRO-4100 now is a good choice.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 01:20:48 pm »

It might be an acceptable choice for color, if longevity isn’t a big concern,  but I’ve never seen what I would accept as a truly clean neutral monochrome print from these Canons. Their grays are so bluish that they require a lot of yellow to neutralize them and you end up with metameric failure. Yellow is the worst hue in that regard. Same with my old 8300 and the best software TBW. It’s even worse now with that software no longer available. I’ve seen prints from my files made with experts using the best profile calibration, and compared to the 9570 and P20k or even the P9000 or 8000, the Canon bw looks terrible, both because of the color casts  and the bronzing is also terrible. I can’t get into spraying big prints. It doesn’t even come close to the HPZ3200s I still have here. It seems to me that gloss enhancer channel only works really on rc media which I rarely use.

John

. Buying PRO-4100 now is a good choice.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 02:22:32 pm by deanwork »
Pages: [1]   Go Up