Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printers and heavyweight paper  (Read 2086 times)

Yellowtail

Printers and heavyweight paper
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:10:45 am »

Can anyone recommend a printer for making occasional print runs of 50 -  200 for printing high quality photo images onto heavyweight paper - up to 260gsm? It seems that all non-commercial printers are unable to multiple-feed  heavyweight paper without jamming, ink splashing or misalignment.
 I would prefer a 17", but would be happy with the standard size if it will solve this problem. Why do Epson, HP and Co. make so many models that are so similar and yet are unable to produce a printer which will multiple-feed heavyweight paper or greetings card? There must be millions of small businesses, artists and photographers out there experiencing this problem. I have tried several Epson printers and they all end up jamming and suffering from inksplash and misalignment. I feed from the back with non-curled paper - Red River Frio gloss or Avery 3268 and various art papers and it is very time-consuming having to handfeed each sheet.

LBaldwin

Printers and heavyweight paper
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:36:41 am »

I don't think that the printers are really set up for short press runs. These printers are geared more for posters or photographic prints instead of typical short to moderate press runs of the type you list. It is too easy to use up media (ink) and to a point it is easier to send out the work instead of taking lots of time and printing it in house. I rarely make more than two or three copies of any given print.

I currently use Canon printers but would like to be able to make short runs on heavy card stock. It's just not very feasible with the current Ink based printers for more than a few at a time.

Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up