Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heart warming Leica S Story  (Read 1001 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Heart warming Leica S Story
« on: September 19, 2021, 08:58:12 pm »

I bought into the Leica S system around 2012 starting with the Leica S006 with 3 x S lenses (S30mm CS, S70mm and S120mm CS), and later I upgraded the body to the S007.
All 3 of my lenses had to be returned to Leica probably within the first 6 months of using them due to the now commonly known problem with the AF motor.

Back when COVID started ~ 2 years ago I put all my cameras in the dry cabinet and basically stopped photography and played golf only. About 6 weeks ago a friend of mine called me and asked me if I wanted to join him on a photoshoot on the south of the island where I live (Phuket Thailand). I said yes, got the camera out of the dry cabinet along with the spare battery and charged the batteries. Later that day I attached the S70mm lens to the body and instantly remembered that horrendous winning noise, I'm like WTF I thought that shit couldn't happen again. I proceed to attach the S120mm lens and the same shit happened, I'm now thinking that if the S30mm is okay I could do the shoot with that lens just stand closer and don't tilt the lens to much, but no that lens was f*****d too. ...........I canceled joining the photoshoot.

Later that day I called my mate in Malaysia who is the owner of the Leica store in Malaysia, he advised me that due to Malaysia still being on lockdown I would be better off contacting the Leica customer service in Germany. I sent them an email and the next day I was told to try this and that and if the problem didn't go away I was to contact them again.........I had previously tried the remove battery and scream a little bit already so I replied saying "still the same"

A couple of days later I got an email from Leica saying DHL would be coming to pick up all 3 lenses from my house and to confirm my address in Thailand. A couple of days later DHL showed up at my house packed the lenses and took them away. I didn't hear anything back from Leica, so after about 10 days I emailed them to see what was going on. I got an email back from a different guy saying that the S120 and S30 had already been serviced and re calibrated, he also said that the S70mm had been damaged in transit and that Leica had replaced that lens with a brand new lens..........wow

About 5 days later I received a notice from UPS with a tracking number saying that I should receive my package within 5 to 7 days time........ which I did

Now that's what I call good customer service. Thank you Leica thank you so so much

Neil

Peter McLennan

Re: Heart warming Leica S Story
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:29:43 pm »

Great story.  That's the way to do business. Similar to my experience with my Swarovski binoculars.

Good shooting!

MN

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 12:48:02 pm »

Strange that all three lenses failed within the first second!

Maybe something with the camera?

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 06:45:08 pm »

Strange that all three lenses failed within the first second!

Maybe something with the camera?
I also thought that but when the lenses came back they and the camera all worked normally……….. I will probably go ahead and sell that system as I’m more into golf than I am into photography and iPhones and my current Samsung S21 take cracking photos.
Neil

mtakeda

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:17:38 pm »

That is very pleasing nice story. I hope somebody from Capture One such as David Grover read your story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up