Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide Gamut monitors - what are the affordable choices?  (Read 1533 times)

dreed

Wide Gamut monitors - what are the affordable choices?
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:36:24 am »

Over 10 years ago now I bought a Dell 2407WFP. That has finally breathed its last breath of air and now I need to find a replacement, only it is really difficult.

It is (or was) a 24", 16:10 (1920x1200) screen that did > 110% of Adobe RGB all for around $500. It also scores well in various other areas.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2518/4 - notably not an IPS panel screen.

Looking around now, people make a big deal of doing 99% AdobeRGB, which has me wondering if the Dell was simply a once off miracle, because I am finding it really hard to find anything under $1000 that'll do > 100% AdobeRGB (never mind 110%). The 16:10 aspect ratio seems like a pipe dream. The situation is so bad that I'm actually looking at repairing the monitor because I cannot find anything to replace it.

Has anyone else migrated off from the Dell 2407/2408WFP to another monitor, if so, what did you choose?

Are there any good monitor review sites that make it easy to find wide gamut monitors? (100% AdobeRGB is not "wide gamut".)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:10:37 am by dreed »

TechTalk

Re: Wide Gamut monitors - what are the affordable choices?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:33:52 am »

I have no idea whether it would interest you, but I've purchased a couple of refurbished wide-gamut monitors directly from NEC in the past. I was very pleased with both the price and the monitors. I purchased one and liked it so much, that I ordered another a week later. Best value for the money ever for me over many years of monitor purchases.

If you want to take a look, they currently show both the PA243W and PA271Q being available as refurbished. They no longer show the prices for refurbished models; so, I have no idea what the current discount from new might be currently. They have a contact link for pricing information for each model offered. Here's a link if you're interested. Just scroll thru the list on the side and select MultiSync PA Series.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

dreed

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 08:49:23 am »

If you want to take a look, they currently show both the PA243W and PA271Q being available as refurbished. They no longer show the prices for refurbished models; so, I have no idea what the current discount from new might be currently. They have a contact link for pricing information for each model offered. Here's a link if you're interested. Just scroll thru the list on the side and select MultiSync PA Series.

The web says that the NEC PA243W is still available new: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368965-REG/nec_multisync_pa243w_bk_24_wide.html, but refurb'd would be cheaper (one hopes!)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 10:16:35 am »

I have 26 and 30" NEC monitors that have served me well for many years. Matching prints to the screen is easy. But I do not understand the desire for a super wide gamut. Printers can't do it nor can 99% of screens.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 10:56:43 am »

Love my PA271Q; driven with SpectraView and an i1Display Plus (you don't need the Plus, the non Plus is more than enough).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 06:18:24 pm »

The web says that the NEC PA243W is still available new

Current PA Series models from Sharp/NEC are the PA243W; PA271Q; and PA311D.

https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/products/displays

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 06:36:40 pm »

But I do not understand the desire for a super wide gamut.

There are two reasons that immediately come to mind. First, would be simply for the pleasure of seeing as much of the color and dynamic range of the images you've captured as possible. The second, would be to evaluate where you want to compress color and contrast before editing for output to a smaller gamut and contrast ratio.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 07:19:59 pm »

There are two reasons that immediately come to mind. First, would be simply for the pleasure of seeing as much of the color and dynamic range of the images you've captured as possible. The second, would be to evaluate where you want to compress color and contrast before editing for output to a smaller gamut and contrast ratio.

Yes. And less banding. I've been using 2 monitors: 1 wide gamut (primary screen), 1 that is just sRGB (secondary screen).

The wide gamut is used to work out what the image limits are and then I can make adjustments to suit for sRGB.

riccohn

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 11:40:04 am »

Love my PA271Q; driven with SpectraView and an i1Display Plus (you don't need the Plus, the non Plus is more than enough).

This does look good. However, it is shown as discontinued on the B&H site. I contacted B&H about this and they say NEC told them to mark as discontinued and stop selling. But I still see it on the NEC website. Any idea if NEC is coming out with new models or are discontinuing monitors less than 4K?

I tried two BenQ SW270C's but both had a color change in the top left corner. Don't know if I was just unlucky.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 12:37:51 pm »

I don't see how being 'discontinued' or not is important, certainly if you can get one at a better price if it is.
Yes, NEC/Sharp is coming out with new products <g>.
Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don't know. ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

datro

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 01:47:57 pm »

This does look good. However, it is shown as discontinued on the B&H site. I contacted B&H about this and they say NEC told them to mark as discontinued and stop selling. But I still see it on the NEC website. Any idea if NEC is coming out with new models or are discontinuing monitors less than 4K?

I was about to pull the trigger on the PA271Q to replace my aging NEC LCD2460WUXi, so I am a bit dismayed that B&H has discontinued this monitor.  Yesterday I contacted the Sharp/NEC Displays rep for my region (Mid Atlantic) to get more details on the real status of the PA271Q, but have not received a response yet.  I know there might be a few still left in the "office supplies"  dealer channel somewhere, but I'd prefer to deal with a seller that will work with me if there are issues.  If there is a PA271Q replacement coming, NEC had better get the word out soon, otherwise people (like me) might be inclined to switch to Eizo.

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 07:46:07 pm »

otherwise people (like me) might be inclined to switch to Eizo.

Having owned and used both Eizo and NEC monitors for several years, I don't see any reason for "brand loyalty" to either. They both make excellent monitors. It really comes down to what an individual needs and wants for their intended use, and of course budget.

You can find pretty thorough testing and reviews at the German monitor site PRAD.de and Google translate does a good job of making it accessible to those that don't speak German. Here's their review of the NEC PA271Q and its nearest Eizo competitor the CS2731.
Pages: [1]   Go Up