Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DigLloyd: is PhaseOne going to survive?  (Read 2620 times)

bjanes1@comcast.net

DigLloyd: is PhaseOne going to survive?
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:50:41 pm »

While Lloyd Chambers praises the image qualty of thenPhaseOne 150 MP IQ4, he thinks the Fuji GF100S offers 85% of the functionality of the IQ4 at 1/5 the price and thinks that with this competition the survival of Phase One is in question.

Any thoughts?

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2021/20210801_0812-FujijfilmGFX100S-IsPhaseOneGoingToSurvive.html

Cheers,
Bill Janes

jrp

Re: DigLloyd: is PhaseOne going to survive?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:07:21 pm »

There is only a limited number of sources of sensor. If P1 wanted to make an equivalent to the GFX 100 series, they could, but they have chosen to occupy a higher niche. Whether the niche will be their tomb and the accident prone diglloyd predicts, remains to be seen, but it would be wrong to assume that they are idiots without a business strategy.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 06:00:40 pm »

Note that Phase One is making cameras that use the same sensor as the GFX100/s, they're just targeting a different market.

https://geospatial.phaseone.com/cameras/ixm-100/

BAB

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 03:19:53 pm »

? Same market maybe different buyers/users
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 05:44:35 pm »

? Same market maybe different buyers/users

Industrial cameras are not consumer cameras.  Industrial cameras don't have to worry about previous models or the next model.  They are focused on the task at hand, and doing it the very best.  Consumer cameras have to respect the existing investments & future models.  Industrial cameras can cost many times more than a consumer cameras - it's about the situation they're being used in.

I'm not too worried about PhaseOne.  CaptureOne expansion to the GFX was huge.

Would be good to keep in mind that we have been spoiled:
- 50mp CMOS came out in 2014
- 100mp CMOS came out in 2016
- 150mp CMOS came out in 2018

We'll see more megapixels soon enough, but what market is going to use it?
t: @PNWMF

BFD

• Dana Neibert
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 12:02:14 pm »

While Lloyd Chambers praises the image qualty of thenPhaseOne 150 MP IQ4, he thinks the Fuji GF100S offers 85% of the functionality of the IQ4 at 1/5 the price and thinks that with this competition the survival of Phase One is in question.

Any thoughts?

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2021/20210801_0812-FujijfilmGFX100S-IsPhaseOneGoingToSurvive.html

Cheers,
Bill Janes

I had not seen that article but was having the same thoughts just earlier this week. Phase seems to be targeting the rich/hobbiest/dentist and not the professional commercial shooter with all the time/money the spend on prosumer type features and not working on the stuff professionals need. The problem with that strategy is there's only so many dentists that want such a camera system. I have seen so many professional commercial shooters dump their phase systems and switch over to Fuji and some just going Sony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up