Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 LG Cartridge is out of ink error  (Read 15472 times)

Z3200 LG Cartridge is out of ink error
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:54:18 pm »

I have swapped LG cartridges and I am still getting this error on the front panel. I don't think the printer is actually reading the chip on the cartridge. Would there be another reason that the printer thinks that the cartridge is empty? Air bubble in the line maybe? Any suggestions to resolve this are appreciated.

hyatts3

Re: Z3200 LG Cartridge is out of ink error
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 05:03:14 pm »

Do you have an empty LG cartridge on hand? If so, try removing the cap containing the chip from both and switching them. See if it works then.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 09:57:06 am »

Do you have an empty LG cartridge on hand? If so, try removing the cap containing the chip from both and switching them. See if it works then.

Tried that too. Still same error. Seems like it's stuck in a loop on boot and cannot get past the error on the LG cartridge

hyatts3

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 10:53:05 am »

Try turning it off, pulling all the ink cartridges (and printheads if you're up for it), then restarting. Sometimes that clears it.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 04:17:17 pm »

Try turning it off, pulling all the ink cartridges (and printheads if you're up for it), then restarting. Sometimes that clears it.

That was my next step and to follow Mark's guide with the cartridges and print heads

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 11:55:50 pm »

Just an update on this. The issue just seems to have shifted to another cartridge now. Attaching a pic of the LCD. It's now indicating that the yellow cartridge is invalid. Any tip on how to resolve this?

hyatts3

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 08:52:35 am »

A few months back I had the same issue with a batch of yellow cartridges. I think I went through 4 or 5 of them with the same issue. As best as I could tell it was simply a manufacturing issue with that batch. When I switched the caps with an older cartridge they worked fine. I know you said you'd tried this earlier with your LG cartridge and it didn't work. Have you tried it with the yellow?

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 09:19:48 am »

A few months back I had the same issue with a batch of yellow cartridges. I think I went through 4 or 5 of them with the same issue. As best as I could tell it was simply a manufacturing issue with that batch. When I switched the caps with an older cartridge they worked fine. I know you said you'd tried this earlier with your LG cartridge and it didn't work. Have you tried it with the yellow?

Not yet. I am not sure I have any expired or spare yellow carts sitting around but I'll check

I guess one of my questions would be, is this a sign of something bigger such as a board being defective? The printer has been great for years and no issues at all. Then this cycle of cartridge mishaps started and it seems like there's something else at the root of it but I don't have enough experience to know what it is

A couple other things that seem strange. The gloss cartridge is showing as 9% but it's almost full of ink.

Is there a way to just completely reset everything back to square one? Again, I don't know if that is the answer...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:26:13 am by 149113 »

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 10:09:32 am »

Some of us are experiencing strange errors with z3200 when restarting the printer after it has been unplugged. An error, that says you need to reseat the print head, where it goes through all kinds of initialization and wants to print an alignment etc. In my case it’s doing it with the last head changed.

On my Z3100 now I can run dry on an ink cart or carts when the printer software, from the computer or the printer menu says there is plenty of ink left.

In 13 years of using Z printers I’ve never experienced these situations.

Looks to me like these are production sloppiness issues with the manufacturer of the chips, or possibly driver-chip communication issues. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it’s hard to know. I do know that in the last couple of years I’ve had two new black inks that couldn’t be read at all by the sensor and had to be returned.

John

Not yet. I am not sure I have any expired or spare yellow carts sitting around but I'll check

I guess one of my questions would be, is this a sign of something bigger such as a board being defective? The printer has been great for years and no issues at all. Then this cycle of cartridge mishaps started and it seems like there's something else at the root of it but I don't have enough experience to know what it is

A couple other things that seem strange. The gloss cartridge is showing as 9% but it's almost full of ink.

Is there a way to just completely reset everything back to square one? Again, I don't know if that is the answer...

hyatts3

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 12:48:05 pm »

I've been having a series of similar strange issues that I've never had before in years of using these. I've been printing on the z3200s near daily since they were introduced (and the 3100s previously). At least in my situation with the yellow ink cartridges the issue was happening on all three of my printers so I felt confident in saying that particular issue was indeed a chip problem. That certainly may not be the case with what OP is facing now.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 03:19:39 pm »

Some of us are experiencing strange errors with z3200 when restarting the printer after it has been unplugged. An error, that says you need to reseat the print head, where it goes through all kinds of initialization and wants to print an alignment etc. In my case it’s doing it with the last head changed.

On my Z3100 now I can run dry on an ink cart or carts when the printer software, from the computer or the printer menu says there is plenty of ink left.

In 13 years of using Z printers I’ve never experienced these situations.

Looks to me like these are production sloppiness issues with the manufacturer of the chips, or possibly driver-chip communication issues. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it’s hard to know. I do know that in the last couple of years I’ve had two new black inks that couldn’t be read at all by the sensor and had to be returned.

John

John, thanks. Mine was off for a while. I needed to wait until a new power supply arrived which took about 3 weeks. I replaced the old one with the new and power was back to normal. On that first boot it asked to replace various printheads - some of which were practically brand new but I did it anyway. Then the ink cartridge issues started up it's been that way for a while now. I have weighed the gloss cartridge and it's the same as a new cartridge. I have no idea why the printer thinks it's almost drained or that a yellow cartridge that is 90% full and was in the printer before the power supply went out is invalid now. I can't seem to get past this cycle of replacing cartridges

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 04:31:55 pm »

Big storm Fred heading our way, so I turned all my printers off, unplugged the UPS's they were plugged into - shut them down from their panels and left them all off for 2-3 days.

When I rebooted them, I got the same BS, as described in this thread, but it was a printhead that needed to be reseated.

Shut down again from the back switch again. Unplugged the printer, shut the switch to off, re-plugged in the printer and restarted.

As it was coming up I just pulled the plug while the carriage was moving.

Made sure back switch was off, unplugged LAN cable, then plugged power back in and restarted.

It came up fine - no errors.

Several restarts often will clear errors - guess it confuses the initialization process and it forgets what it was having problems with.

This has worked for cartridges too.

LAN cable unplugged is a must, beats me why - I just know it works.

This is, as John discussed, something that is relatively new, and almost never an issue in the past.

I did help HP track down a bad batch of yellow cartridges - they found the problem, but it could be back. (They didn't say what the problem was).

Multiple restarts. That's what I do.

If there are no printhead errors, but a cartridge error, just pull all the carts, (from the panel selection to reseat or replace) restart and let the machine ask for them. When it asks for them one by one, it does a chip check, and as we all know, if the cartridge is out of warranty, it presents the choice to agree that the cartridge has expired and to agree that any problems in the ink system in the future would not be covered by warranty. When we say: "yeah yeah, ok", the printer thanks us for using HP inks and moves on to the next. If each cartridge is accepted by the printer (even if conditionally) it should go on and initialize without issue.

Best-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 04:59:19 pm »

Big storm Fred heading our way, so I turned all my printers off, unplugged the UPS's they were plugged into - shut them down from their panels and left them all off for 2-3 days.

When I rebooted them, I got the same BS, as described in this thread, but it was a printhead that needed to be reseated.

Shut down again from the back switch again. Unplugged the printer, shut the switch to off, re-plugged in the printer and restarted.

As it was coming up I just pulled the plug while the carriage was moving.

Made sure back switch was off, unplugged LAN cable, then plugged power back in and restarted.

It came up fine - no errors.

Several restarts often will clear errors - guess it confuses the initialization process and it forgets what it was having problems with.

This has worked for cartridges too.

LAN cable unplugged is a must, beats me why - I just know it works.

This is, as John discussed, something that is relatively new, and almost never an issue in the past.

I did help HP track down a bad batch of yellow cartridges - they found the problem, but it could be back. (They didn't say what the problem was).

Multiple restarts. That's what I do.

If there are no printhead errors, but a cartridge error, just pull all the carts, (from the panel selection to reseat or replace) restart and let the machine ask for them. When it asks for them one by one, it does a chip check, and as we all know, if the cartridge is out of warranty, it presents the choice to agree that the cartridge has expired and to agree that any problems in the ink system in the future would not be covered by warranty. When we say: "yeah yeah, ok", the printer thanks us for using HP inks and moves on to the next. If each cartridge is accepted by the printer (even if conditionally) it should go on and initialize without issue.

Best-

Mark

Mark - as always thanks. You're continued Z3200 feedback on this forum is one of the main reasons I renewed last year. I will give that a shot. If am understanding the process... I need to pull all cartridges when off and then power on and let the printer ask for each cartridge one by one. I will do that and advise status

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 10:22:24 pm »

So an update... I found an empty yellow cart and did the swap with the front part of the new cartridge and I was able to get through the entire startup process and at some point it wanted me to replace all ink heads which I did not but the process continued and eventually completed. The ink levels are all over the place and do not represent the true amount of ink in each cart. So what is the implication of that? I don't think I have ever had to deal with that situation before

What is the recommended protocol in terms of calibration at this point? Paper advance? Alignment?

Also... just a side note. The fan on my old power supply was nearly silent. This new one is putting out a lot of DB's
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:07:32 pm by 149113 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up